AnsweredAssumed Answered

Avoiding Corrupted Files in FM GO

Question asked by philmodjunk on Feb 27, 2017
Latest reply on Apr 10, 2017 by philmodjunk

We support a user base of 300+ iPad users that collect data that they then "push" to one of our servers and "pull" other data back from the same. (There's no "synch" in terms of locating and updating existing records used in this process at this time.)

I get a small trickle of users that report FM GO pops up a message that either our file or the synch tool's file is damaged. We then have them download a new copy of the synch file if it's damaged and I have them send our solution to me where I a) recover it, b) import the data into a new copy of the file and return it to them. Out of the many such "recovers", FileMaker has only reported finding a problem to fix during the recover once.

It's a very small percentage of the total, but the frequency with which this is happening has increased greatly with the latest copy of the synch tool and with FM Go 15.

So I'm researching best practices and possible causes for the file damage issues.

Presumably, leaving the FM GO file open and rebooting the iPad could damage the file. Is that a distinct possibility?

What if they leave the file open, double click the home button and "swipe up", to close FM GO? Can that damage the file?

Our third party synch tool is GoZync from SeedCode. In talking to them, they've suggested the above and that FileMaker needs to better protect the integrity of their files.

Another details that may be relevant is that we use an "installer file" that contains the actual solution file in a container field to install the file onto the iPad. The user opens a download link, the installer copies over, opens and immediately starts to install the new file. It can detect an existing copy and offer to import the data from that copy into the new file.

Yet I have yet to have a solution pop up as "damaged" on my iOS devices even though I have many different FM GO files. Perhaps this is because I have been lucky or perhaps it is because most of my personal designs, (The solution that I support with these users was created by a contract developer working for us), I include a button at the top that closes the file when tapped and I make it a habit to close the file when I am thru using it...

To sum up:

1) Do we need to better educate our users to close the file immediately after they are thru using it?

2) Could a different synch tool such as MirrorSync by 360works be a better option?

3) Or is there some other cause for this file damage that we need to take a closer look at?

Outcomes