1 2 3 Previous Next 36 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2017 1:58 PM by Kj

Possible to print 2 sided name badge?

Kj

Hello,

Users want a 2 sided name badge. I have not found a way to make a label have 2 pages.

Have done duplex reports and it works well.

They want name badges, 6 per page, and the side 2 would have info specific to person on side 1.

Is this possible?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Possible to print 2 sided name badge?
          Jaymo

You could create two layouts and run the badge stock through the printer twice.

• 2. Re: Possible to print 2 sided name badge?
            Kj

Thank you.

Hard to do though. The users will be doing this, not me.

We print about 200 pages of badges.

They would have to feed it in the right way.

so unlikely to work well.

• 3. Re: Possible to print 2 sided name badge?
              philmodjunk

Have done duplex reports and it works well.

If you have done duplex reports and "it works well", how does this differ from using duplex printing to get your name badges?

I'm thinking that you may need to set up a two page form view report where single row portals or another method is used to produce a "grid" of badges from a related table. Page one would show the front side and page two would show the back side for the same grid of badges.

This is not a layout that you can set up using the Layout Wizard's label option

• 4. Re: Possible to print 2 sided name badge?
                beverly

What jaymo said. Or print in "2 columns" (front in column1 and back in column 2), then fold in the middle. I guess it depends on the paper/label stock used?

I have a client that uses the 'fold' method and it works well for them.

beverly

• 5. Re: Possible to print 2 sided name badge?
                  ScotLoomis

I assume that the back and front have to match (that is information from the front relates to some data on the back.  We have done this.  We did use 2 layouts and also have a rather long script that reverses the sort order and adds in a blank record if the original record set is an odd number.  If you

If you want a copy of the script we use, let me know and I will send it to you.

• 6. Re: Possible to print 2 sided name badge?
                    Kj

- Phil, did not think to use portals to make a grid.

- Scot, if I get something close to what I want but have trouble with

the front/back info will then ask for your script.

Will work on this tomorrow, and will see.

Thank you all.

• 7. Re: Possible to print 2 sided name badge?
                      Kj

I made two layouts using the label/badge form, 6 to a sheet.

On second layout I checked the 'facing pages' option in print setup/printing.

When printing one sheet at a time it works well.

If printing (say) 3 sheets, 18 records/badges, the side 2 for badge 1

is printed on the back of badge 13.

Typically staff print 50 sheets at a time.

Why wouldn't filemaker allow two page label layouts? The facing pages

checkbox makes the back of badge 1 print in the right place.

Will explore some more but this should not be difficult.

And Phil, printing 2 sided labels is not the same as printing a 2

sided sheet for 1 record. I just wanted to put aside that I knew how

to print duplex.

karen

• 8. Re: Possible to print 2 sided name badge?
                        philmodjunk

Did you try the single layout with two pages of portals? The first set of portals prints the label fronts. The second page the label backs?

• 9. Re: Possible to print 2 sided name badge?
                          ScotLoomis

The complexity come when you realize that the order of your record must change before printing the back side of the badges.  Also, you have to add a record if the number of badges is odd and then delete that record after printing the back side.  Our 27 step script checks for even/odd record count, adds a record to the end and then swaps the records, right vs. left so it will match the correct record.  We are also saving the badge as PDFs, but that is due to the fact that they are printed away from the

location FMP is run.

The real trick is in the sort order, this is our calc for the sortOrder field that is done as a replace  before producing the PDF:

If(

Mod( Get(RecordNumber ) ; 2 ) = 0 ;

Get ( RecordNumber ) - 1 ;

Get ( RecordNumber )  + 1 )

HTH

Scot Loomis

Good Dog Database Design

Taos, NM

dataguru111@gmail.com

• 10. Re: Possible to print 2 sided name badge?
                            Kj

Hi Phil,

- I do not understand how a grid of portals will each be assigned a

different person.

- the name badges have a graphic background, particular to that

person. Then the person info is placed on top of that graphic, then

there is more graphic/special text added to the badge. Very colorful

and special . I do not know how to get the graphic as a background

to the portal info.

(Something simple has been made complicated because we cannot do

duplex printing of labels. A shame).

karen

• 11. Re: Possible to print 2 sided name badge?
                              philmodjunk

Each label on a layout layout is a different record. You just create a parent table so that a portal can show the records from that labels table. These can be one row portals each with a different "initial row"--sometimes called a "horizontal portal" here in the forum though in this case, we are setting up a grid.

Basic layout details:

1. Enter layout mode on a layout based on the parent table not the labels table.
                              2. Select your duplex printer, page size and orientation
                              3. Select "Page breaks" from the view menu.
                              4. Drag the bottom edge of the layout body down until you get two page break lines. Then reduce the size just enough to make the second break disappear.
                              5. Put one set of portals with the fields needed for the front in a grid above the remaining page break line.
                              6. Duplicate all of these portals and put the duplicates below the page break line. Change the fields in the one row portals to show data needed for the back of the label.
                              7. Print to plain paper and adjust portal size and location until all align correctly with your labels stock.

To control how the label records appear in your portal, use a script with replace field contents to put a number in a match field used in the portal relationship:

LabelsPrint::pageNumb = Labels::PageNumb

If you have stock that prints 5 labels to a page, the replace field content script would look like this:

Go to Layout ["LabelRecords" (Labels) ]

Show All Records

Sort Records (optional)

Replace field contents [Labels::PageNumb ; Ceiling ( Get ( RecordNumber ) / 5 ]

You then go to your LabelsPrint layout (with the portals) and set up a found set of as many LabelsPrint records as you need with LabelsPrint::PageNumb numbered from 1 to the total number of pages.

Note that on your Labels layout, Ceiling ( get ( FoundCount ) / 5 ) tells you how many pages that you need.

Something simple has been made complicated because we cannot do duplex printing of labels.

Well this SHOULD work to print duplex labels, but it's definitely not simple.

• 12. Re: Possible to print 2 sided name badge?
                                Kj

If this works it will be used again and again so will try.

A page is attached to show I have: the parent table, the label table,

the page 1 and page 2 of the labels using portals to make a grid. It

is lining up nicely with the labels. There will be more added to them

but this is good for now.

Now must work on getting each portal to be a different record.

That is the part that I don't get but will start that soon.

(one thing, no one thinks it should take a person any time to make

labels    ).

Thank you.

Karen

• 13. Re: Possible to print 2 sided name badge?
                                  philmodjunk

If you open portal set up and look at the bottom of the dialog, there are two important settings:

Initial Row [   ]       Number of Rows [    ]

All the portals would specify 1 as the number of rows.

For the top/left portal, you specify an initial row of 1. For the next portal to the right, specify an initial row of 2 and so forth. Since "page number" is used as the link, all Label records with a page number of 1 will appear on the LabelPrint Record that also has a page number of 1 and so forth....

• 14. Re: Possible to print 2 sided name badge?
                                    Kj

Well, I changed the initial row (so info disappeared) but do not have

a page number link. Will work on that Monday.

Thanks.

1 2 3 Previous Next