1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2017 8:15 AM by philmodjunk

Issue with summary fields at startup

simoncpage

Windows server and client environment (albeit this issue is also coming up on webdirect too - but not Go) with all the latest updates.

I have a fairly basic list layout which has a few basic calculation fields with a grand trailing summary with 10 summary fields and 1 <<FIELD NAME>> textbox. At start the database goes to a blank layout and then does a search based on Get(AccountName) to retrieve list related to the user which is then sorted and it goes to record first. On startup this page loads quickly in very little time and but text boxes appear without <<FIELD>> parts filled in and summary fields are blank. I have a button on the top nav which runs the same search on the layout and this then refreshes with the summary fields showing fine.

I've tried refresh script step and that doesn't work / tried an extra sort script which didn't work / tried going to find mode then browse which didn't work. I've noticed most of the time if I click on another field after start up it refreshes these summary fields and they show instantly?

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Issue with summary fields at startup
          philmodjunk

Are these fields that fail to show data from a table occurrence different from that specified in layout set up as the "show records from" table occurrence?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Issue with summary fields at startup
            simoncpage

The summary fields are a combination of totals and weighted averages. They are all based on fields of the same table occurrences as the list view layout. The <<Field_Name>> textboxes are unstored basic calculations basic like record count etc.

• 3. Re: Issue with summary fields at startup
              philmodjunk

Sounds like you have a record open for editing. Can't tell from here if this is possible and if so, why. But if there is any chance that this is the case, you might try using Commit Records in your script to see if that helps.

When a layout fails to refresh as needed, I usually consider the following "fixes" in the following order

1. Commit Records
              2. Refresh Object
              3. Refresh Portal
              4. Refresh Window
              5. Refresh Window [Flush Cached Join Results]

1 is the "cheapest" fix if it works. 2 and 3 only help in certain specific situations and probably don't apply here. If I have to use 5, I then rethink my design to see if I can find a way to get things to update without it as this step can add quite a bit of "load" in terms of responsiveness/system performance.

You might also try creating a brand new layout with no elements copy/pasted from your current layout to see if you get the same behavior. It's not real common, but sometimes a layout gets "munged" and doesn't perform as it should. In such cases, replacing the layout can fix the problem. (And you don't want to copy/paste layout objects from the damaged layout as you may copy over the damage to the new layout.)

• 4. Re: Issue with summary fields at startup
                simoncpage

Yep the recreation from scratch of the layout was something I was going to try.

I have another layout which is almost identical and swapping startup to that one doesn't seem to make any difference same problem (this one was working fine as well). I've tried the commit record script and that hasn't worked. Haven't tried #2 or #3 as no portal and not really elegant albeit I could try just refreshing one object to see if that refreshes the rest. #5. Also tried this and first time I tried this it refreshed the <<FIELD>> textbox but the other summary fields which were off screen weren't refreshed when scrolling right.

• 5. Re: Issue with summary fields at startup
                  simoncpage

Create a brand new layout with just one field and one summary field in the trailing and it is exactly the same with the summary not loading but refreshing when I go to another record.

• 6. Re: Issue with summary fields at startup
                    philmodjunk

What you describe is not typical behavior for a summary field from the same occurrence as the layout. It can be an issue with a summary field from a related occurrence--especially one that is "several hops away". Are you sure that this is not the case here? Please note that a table and a table occurrence are not the same thing.

Perhaps a screen shot of your layout, captured while in layout mode, might be informative here.

• 7. Re: Issue with summary fields at startup
                      simoncpage

Capture.PNG

Here is a layout I created. Table Occurrence is Portfolio_All and all fields are from that. Total Facility and ID are both number fields (ID Count is just a count and the other is a just a total). When I first load up they are blank and this was a newly created layout with no copied fields. If I do a search or change the selected record it then refreshes the values? Commit scripts and refresh have been tried again and nothing works.

Bit stumped now as to what else I can try and why these aren't working?

• 8. Re: Issue with summary fields at startup
                        philmodjunk

When I first load up they are blank

What is your found set at that point?

The other way you could have these fields empty is if you have a found set of zero records.

If that's not the issue, I'd recover the file and test the recovered file just to rule out problems with the file itself.

• 9. Re: Issue with summary fields at startup
                          simoncpage

No I have definitely got a found list and that is all working fine and displaying correctly.

File recovery is my next option. I'll do the recovery on a backup and see if that sorts this out first.

Thanks

• 10. Re: Issue with summary fields at startup
                            simoncpage

Ran a recovery and unfortunately it is exactly the same? Any other suggestions from anyone?

Not really sure if I have anything else I can try?

• 11. Re: Issue with summary fields at startup
                              philmodjunk

Hmmm, what view are you in when you see this?

Form, List or Table View?

• 13. Re: Issue with summary fields at startup
                                philmodjunk

What I keep running up against is that this is a very simple basic layout and yet what you report is not the expected behavior for such a table, the fields shown or the layout.

I've attached a sample file where I've tried to replicate your design from what you've posted, but it, as expected, does not replicate the results that you report.

Please look it over and let me know what might be different between it and your file.

You might also post the script that runs when the file opens.

On the other hand, after re-reading your original post, I have one really silly question to ask:

Are you sure that you are in Browse mode when you see these fields empty?

• 14. Re: Issue with summary fields at startup
                                  simoncpage

Yep that works I've tried doing a simple start up and that has solved it. I've realised that the issue was at the end of the script I have a few toggle fields that are reset/set to default value and this appears to have caused the issue if I run these set field requests before I do the sort of the list view it shows all the summaries fine. Thanks for the help!

1 2 Previous Next