3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2017 9:47 AM by wimdecorte

Import Visual Studio Solution?

bmenendez

Hi All,

We are replacing a system with FMPRO, and in the other system there are a large amount of reports to bring over. Does anyone know of a way that I don't have to try and re-create what they've done with Visual Studio within FileMaker?

can filemaker link to the report in some way or bring the report into filemaker somehow?

Looking at the reports, re-creating has been a tall task so i thought i'd see what the community thought.

Thanks for your time and awesomeness!

Brad M

• 1. Re: Import Visual Studio Solution?
          Jaymo

There is no way to convert Visual Studio to FileMaker. You'll just need to recreate the structure and interface from scratch. The best you can do is export the data from Visual Studio to a format like tab-separated and import it into your new FileMaker solution.

• 2. Re: Import Visual Studio Solution?
            fmpdude

Converting reports is ALWAYS a pain when switching environments. That is actually a major reason one prospect of mine refused to consider FMP as they had 50 reports with tons of related code.

I feel your pain.

• 3. Re: Import Visual Studio Solution?
              wimdecorte

bmenendez wrote:

Does anyone know of a way that I don't have to try and re-create what they've done with Visual Studio within FileMaker?

Visual Studio is a coding environment.  What coding language was used and what does it connect to to read the data?

Potentially the coding can be reused to read from FM through one of the available FM APIs (odbc, jdbc, xml,...).  If the current tool is written in .NET you could even use the fmDotNet connector to easily work with the FM data.

1 of 1 people found this helpful