1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2017 10:03 AM by rgordon

How do you insert a page break in a long text document?

steve.weinberg

One of my layouts is a long text document with merge fields inserted to grab appropriate data form each record.

I see no way to actually insert a page break in this document in any of FileMakers controls.  And even when I select "Few" page breaks, I do not see page breaks in Layout mode.

What am I missing here?

If you can theoretically view page breaks, there must be a method for inserting them where you want them.

And why can't I see them in layout mode?  Oh!  I realize why.  I haven't inserted any? 

But then you would think that wherever the page breaks fell "naturally" without inserting special page breaks, Layout mode would show that to you so you can decide whether or not you need to use manually inserted page breaks to improve the look of your document.

What am I missing here?

• 1. Re: How do you insert a page break in a long text document?
          DavidKamar

To view where page breaks will occur, you need to go into Preview Mode.

Keep in mind the margins of your pages will depend on the page size you have selected via Print Setup.

You may also want to enable showing Page Margins under the View menu.

Some Layout Parts allow you to force a Page Break before/after the part. Layouts ->Parts Setup -> Change (or Add) - Part Definition.

• 2. Re: How do you insert a page break in a long text document?
            Johan Hedman

In layout mode you can see Page breaks under menu View > Page break

• 3. Re: How do you insert a page break in a long text document?
              steve.weinberg

David, thanks

Your basic answer to my key issue of being able to insert page breaks (a la an MS Word document) into a text document is "Some Layout Parts allow you to force a Page Break before/after the part. Layouts ->Parts Setup -> Change (or Add) - Part Definition."

OK,  good so far.

My long text document only has 3 parts:  A header, a body and a footer.

When I go to create a part that can also insert a page break, I'm restricted to insert first a Leading Grand Summary Part and then I can insert after that a Sub summary part.

For the life of me I can't figure out where either of these belongs in a long text document.  And now that I actually created a Leading Grand Summary Part, it's like some sort of zombie.  I can't delete it.

Hopefully this makes sense to you.  Clearly FileMaker was designed so that users could create long text layout documents.  I can't imagine there is not an easy function for creating a page break in a "body" part.  More help needed, I'm afraid.

Of course when I type "Insert Page Break" into the help function I get no reply.

• 4. Re: How do you insert a page break in a long text document?
                steve.weinberg

Johan, thanks for replying.  Please see my response to David

Steve

• 5. Re: How do you insert a page break in a long text document?
                  Johan Hedman

To delete a part of a layout, got to Part Setup and there you can add/change/delete parts

If you want page breaks like Word do you mean your want your text to break after a certain point in your layout or do you want the text to tab to the right?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: How do you insert a page break in a long text document?
                    keywords

If you have a long text field that might span more than one page you can force a page break by adding blank lines at the point where you want the break to occur. It's a workaround, of course, but quite a serviceable one.

• 7. Re: How do you insert a page break in a long text document?
                      steve.weinberg

That is just such an inelegant solution for a company owned by Apple and a database application otherwise so well crafted.  But I guess I'll revert to it to get the job done. Thanks. I simply can't bring myself to call it a solution, however.

• 8. Re: How do you insert a page break in a long text document?
                        philmodjunk

FileMaker is not a word processing or publishing program and thus this is not something that it does well. An option not mentioned here is to redesign your layout so that you do not have one Massive text object containing all of your data. If you can split this data up into a series of records--such as one record to a paragraph or something, You could use a list view with sliding fields to produce your output and now a page break can occur between records if you do not allow the body to break across pages as can be set in Part Setup.

To get truly "pretty" output, you might consider exporting your data to another application. There are several ways to export data from FileMaker into MS Word to name one option.

• 9. Re: How do you insert a page break in a long text document?
                          rgordon

Steve, attached is a sample file that I think will get you closer to where you want to be.  You can insert as many page breaks as you want into one text field.  The preview/print rebuilds each page break in a list view.  You will probably need to utilize leading and trailing grand summary parts to include everything you want for the print layout.

Edit: File was revised, so I attached it to another comment further down in this discussion.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: How do you insert a page break in a long text document?
                            steve.weinberg

Perhaps I need to be more specific to explain what I do and how I'd like FileMaker to help me.

I run an affordable housing consulting firm forth past 25 years and I have used a separate FileMaker file for each community I work in as my database.

For each client (record) I have many data points spread over the many (75) layouts of the database.

Some of these layouts are merge text documents for things like a welcome letter, a program loan note and mortgage, a construction contract, a Release of Payment form, etc.

Some of these merge text documents are unavoidably multi-page documents.  In fact, doing these multipage documents are a new function that I just built into the database.  Previously they were done in a much more labor intensive way.

Taking some pride in appearance, as well as accuracy, as I do, I would like the multi-page documents to have appropriate page breaks.  This is the genesis of my query here on the FileMaker communities site.

Just look at all the formatting capability built onto FileMaker, not to mention the excellent document merge capability.

I'm not looking for FileMaker to be able to create a table of contents or index to a document like MS Word.  Or to handle footnotes.  Or to have the more sophisticated document handling capabilities of MS Word.  I just want to be able to insert and delete a "simple" page break in a long text document, the bulk of which is, and ought to be handled as, a single text box.  That's the beauty of creating and deleting page breaks in a single document.  As you edit a document over time, should an exiting page break no longer serve its function, you can delete it and create a new one at the appropriate place.

With all due respect for the absolute magic of what computers can do, I can't believe that I am asking too much of the world's greatest database application.

• 11. Re: How do you insert a page break in a long text document?
                              steve.weinberg

rgordon, thanks very much for providing what you did.

I downloaded and opened what you sent me.

When I saw that long page of text with the mysterious <PB> inserted between certain paragraphs right where a page break out to go, I was excited.  <PB>  The missing link to FileMaker page breaks??  and then in Preview mode I saw the Insert Page break button!!  Hot dog.

But when I tried looking further at the document in preview mode I got something I didn't understand.  Only one page appeared to be printable and the rest of the page text "disappeared"?  And when I tried printing the document, I simply got one page with some of the text, including the <PB> that had been inserted.

In short, if simply did not work as advertised.

"The preview/print rebuilds each page break in a list view.  You will probably need to utilize leading and trailing grand summary parts to include everything you want for the print layout."

Maybe I'm not an experienced enough FileMaker user to knowhow to handle the file you sent me.  Right now it's all corrupted, meaning much of the text that was initially there is now gone, without me having deleted anything.  I just added my own page break in preview mode using the button you provided, which seems to have deleted the text after that page break.  I can't be sure what happened, as I say, as the functionality you had built into that page was too strange and new to me.  Sorry.

• 12. Re: How do you insert a page break in a long text document?
                                steve.weinberg

rgordon, again thanks

I re-downloaded what you sent and now have everything again.  And even now see that the text indeed is at least 2 pages, if not 3.

I am using FileMaker Pro 13, if that makes a difference

But I do not understand some of the elements in the formatting or how I can get FileMaker to show me the whole document in Preview or print the whole document at all.

I do not know how to include a scroll bar in a text document or how the scroll bar impacts printing the document.

But when I say "print all", either current record or all records (knowing there is only 1 record in the file), I only get a small portion of the page you sent and the page that prints does not obey that <PB> instruction at all.

???

• 13. Re: How do you insert a page break in a long text document?
                                  philmodjunk

I'm not looking for FileMaker to be able to create a table of contents or index to a document like MS Word.  Or to handle footnotes.  Or to have the more sophisticated document handling capabilities of MS Word.  I just want to be able to insert and delete a "simple" page break in a long text document, the bulk of which is, and ought to be handled as, a single text box.  That's the beauty of creating and deleting page breaks in a single document.  As you edit a document over time, should an exiting page break no longer serve its function, you can delete it and create a new one at the appropriate place.

Take another look at a document in Word and just it's basic page formatting capabilities for controlling where a page break occurs. You will not find the same capabilities as built in features of FileMaker. For that reason, many solutions manage the data in FileMaker, but export it to Word or another such application in order to produce a document with effective and professional page breaks. There are plug ins designed specifically for this purpose.

I haven't looked at it, but knowing rgordon's expertise, either you haven't used it as designed or he'll write back with an updated copy that fixes the problem. But any system of manually inserting page breaks is labor intensive and requires re-positioning all of them each time editing the first page of the document changes how much text fits on that first page. Thus, a system that exports the data to an app designed for this very purpose is used in many FileMaker solutions.

• 14. Re: How do you insert a page break in a long text document?
                                    steve.weinberg

This is what come out when I say "Print all"

Page break printed.png

1 2 Previous Next