3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2017 9:14 AM by SteveMartino

using portals

kstyle

Hi

I am a complete novice in using a database and have been 'thrown in the deep end' by my boss who needs a simple one created and populated with a lot of data by the end of March.  I have been through a lot of online tutorials and can now set up tables, fields, relationships etc.  I can make a layout and I have been trying to put in portals but am coming unstuck here.

So a couple of questions:

Should I be able to use a portal on a layout that will allow me to enter data there that will be recorded on the relevant child table?

Can a portal use things like radio buttons?

If i put all the fields from a child table in the portal can I then use that layout to enter the data I need and it will be stored in the relevant table?

Also, can a checkbox be used in Find mode?  eg.  if I use the checkbox option for several fields can I later run a Find query what would include all the records where the checkbox contains '1'?

I would very greatly appreciate any comments and suggestions.

• 1. Re: using portals
          TSPigeon

kstyle:

Thank you for your post!

Should I be able to use a portal on a layout that will allow me to enter data there that will be recorded on the relevant child table?

A Portal is exactly for that. You draw a portal onto the layout and tell it what related table your layout table should display data from. As long as you have the relationship setup properly and the box checked to Allow New Record Creation via the relationship, you should be good to go.

Can a portal use things like radio buttons?

Yes. You can use any field type in a Portal. There are some objects that you can't put into a portal, such as another portal or Tab Control.

If i put all the fields from a child table in the portal can I then use that layout to enter the data I need and it will be stored in the relevant table?

This is possible. There are many cases where a table may not have it's own layout that a User would see due to the use of portals.

Also, can a checkbox be used in Find mode?  eg.  if I use the checkbox option for several fields can I later run a Find query what would include all the records where the checkbox contains '1'?

Checkboxes can be used in Find Mode. They can get a little tricky depending on your usage as Checkboxes will be entered into the field in the order they are ticked.

I'm also going to move this thread from the FileMaker Community Feedback Space (which is specifically for input on the Community itself) to the Discussions Space where you should receive more views and potentially more feedback on this topic!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: using portals
            philmodjunk

If you enter find mode and click three check boxes, then perform the find, you will find all records that have those three check box values. You find all records that have the first selected value AND the selected value AND the third. If you wanted all records that had value 1 OR value 2 Or Value 3, this can be done, but you need to use a different method.

Since you started by asking about portals and then added a last question about performing finds, let's talk about finds and portals. If you specify find criteria in a portal row, you are telling FileMaker to find all records in the layout's table, not the portal, but to find those with at least one related portal record matching the criteria that you use. Once the find is performed, the layout returns to browse mode and you see all portal records--both those that matched your portal row criteria and those that don't. This behavior catches some new developers by surprise.

• 3. Re: using portals
              SteveMartino

You can also filter the portal with a relationship based on the checkboxes