5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2017 4:22 AM by wimdecorte

Close Laptop while working on a server

roryduffy

Hi,

If you're working on a record over a server in Filemaker, and you close your laptop (without closing the record, file or application) and walk out of the office in which the Filemaker server is running: does this create a risk of losing the data you've just entered? Or has anyone else experienced similar?

We're just trying to get to the bottom of why data might be getting lost. Our records are set to save changes automatically if that helps, and we're on Filemaker Pro v14.06.

If it's a simple matter that the laptop was closed then maybe that's why.

Thank you

Rory

Yes please, if you could check. I sent that EN right before I closed my laptop so if that’s the case, it would add up.

S

I don’t know that for sure. But it’s a possibility.
      Maybe I can check on the forum to see if anyone else has experienced similar? Then that way we’ll know if it’s an issue or not.

Rory Duffy
      Systems Administration Officer

Well, yes, I would’ve closed my laptop.

So - I didn’t know this. If you make changes in a record then close your laptop (and lose connection if you’re then travelling out of the office) without closing FM, your changes don’t get saved?

S

Yes, maybe Filemaker reverted to a backup.
      After you sent the EN, did you keep Filemaker open and close the laptop at any point? Did you exit the record?

Another possibility is that someone else could have been using the record at the same time and your changes didn’t get saved. But that’s unlikely as I think you were the only one on that record?

Rory Duffy

Hi Rory,

I definitely used the EN button on the make a deal page. That’s the only way I ever send an EN. It then autofills the announcement and onsale dates, obviously - both of which are present and correct in the EN email but were missing when we checked yesterday.

I know with absolute certainty that I did it from the make a deal page because it auto-completes the email text and I made a note to get this amended as it still has Joe’s details.

So, if we know that I didn’t EN it manually or using a different button, there must be a glitch somewhere? Or, FM reverted to a back up?

S

I’ve looked into the Programming EN script (on the Make A Deal page) and it definitely sets the event status to Notified.
      Can I just check that you were on this page when the event was EN’d, and you used that button?

I haven’t set any other scripts to change the event status. So either the event was EN’d manually or a different button was hit?

Rory Duffy

OK I’ll look into it once the VPN’s back up and running.

Rory Duffy

The record with the missing info was the Dirty Dancing screening on 25th March. We’ve put the ticketing info back in again but you’ll see, when/if you’re able to use FM, it’s set as confirmed, not notified…

S

• 1. Re: Close Laptop while working on a server
          philmodjunk

If the data was not committed and you take the client machine out of range of the server, you will be disconnected and the uncommitted data will be lost.

• 2. Re: Close Laptop while working on a server
            rgordon

Users should always close files properly when they are finished.  Never just close the laptop when you are finished.  FileMaker is an auto-save program but records have to be committed to be saved.  Tabbing from field to field to enter data does not commit records.  There are multiple way to commit a record.  Simply clicking outside of a field on the layout background will commit a record.  If a user wants to just shut the laptop they should at the very least click out side of the field they are in before shutting the laptop.  Best option is to close the file properly.

• 3. Re: Close Laptop while working on a server
              philmodjunk

Yet another case where a prominent "close" or "quit" button that closes the file might be helpful It might reduce the frequency with which this happens.

You might use an OnTimer script to periodically commit data if user workflows frequently leave a record with uncommitted data for extended periods of time.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Close Laptop while working on a server
                roryduffy

Thanks Phil. I've let my colleagues know, and that's a good idea regarding the OnTimer script. I've asked them if that'll be useful to incorporate into my layouts, but at least it's good that they know regarding the necessity to close/quit Filemaker when editing records.

Cheers

Rory

• 5. Re: Close Laptop while working on a server
                  wimdecorte

roryduffy wrote:

and that's a good idea regarding the OnTimer script.

Think carefully about it though because it relies on a hefty assumption: that the user is ok with committing the record that they have not committed already.  They may be typing into a field as a draft and have no intention of having it saved just yet.  You may also have OnCommit events or OnExit or OnValidate events that may fire based on an older assumption that user really is done with the record.  The OnTimer solution proposed here assumes that the user really is not done with the record but that you want to do an interim save of the data.

Also: it will not trap the situation where someone just types away and then immediately closes the lid on the machine (or anytime before the OnTimer fires).  The temptation here will be to make the idle time short and - from experience - this can cause more upset to the user's workflow than the problem you are trying to solve.

1 of 1 people found this helpful