6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2017 11:24 AM by GH_1

Deleting a field deletes all similar fields

GH_1

I have "invoice attachments" set up. With a unique ID for each. The layout is set to "invoice attachments".

There is also the obligatory corresponding number match b/n "invoice attachments" and the parent, which is Invoice Number.

Now, when I am on Layout "invoice attachments", and delete one attachment, it deletes all the attachments associated with the Invoice Number (parent).

I have played around with the Relationships dialogue box, "delete records in this table, etc", but I can't seem to get it set up so I don't delete everything.

• 1. Re: Deleting a field deletes all similar fields
          philmodjunk

Go to each occurrence of invoice attachments and each occurrence of Invoices and clear any delete options you may have set.

Then test to see if deleting one attachment record deletes all for a given invoice.

At a guess, you are also deleting the invoice as well as the invoice attachments, but that may not be the case. One of the following scenarios is probably what is happening due to an incorrectly set up "delete" option:

You have two delete options set. One deletes all invoice attachments when an invoice is deleted. This setting makes sense. But if you also mistakenly set the Invoice to be deleted when an attachment is deleted, then you get a "cascade delete where deleting the attachment deletes the invoice--which in turn deletes all other related attachments.

or

You have a "self join" by invoice number between two occurrences of Invoice attachments with delete specified for one of the two occurrences. In this case, deleting any attachment will leave the invoice record in place, but delete all attachments that have the same invoice number.

• 2. Re: Deleting a field deletes all similar fields
            GH_1

Wow, you are right!

It was a self join !

And that was incorrectly set.

Yes!

I didn't realize that self join affected the parent of the self join in this way.

Thank you !

• 3. Re: Deleting a field deletes all similar fields
              philmodjunk

It's one of the things that can make a "delete" option dangerous. This option can be set in a completely different part of your relationship graph, but it'll kick in if you start deleting records anyway. Such options should be documented carefully and used with extreme care.

• 4. Re: Deleting a field deletes all similar fields
                GH_1

yes, i sure realize this now.

would you say it is better to just never check off this "delete" option?

It's safer right?

• 5. Re: Deleting a field deletes all similar fields
                  philmodjunk

It's safer, but never leaving your home is generally safer that getting in a car and driving somewhere.

For me, the delete option is too useful not to use, but it's important to use with care and with documentation. You could, for example, put a text box in your relatinship graph where you list every instance where Delete is enabled as a quick reference when you later work with the relationship graph.

• 6. Re: Deleting a field deletes all similar fields
                    GH_1

The idea about a text box to track in the relationship graph is great. Will do it!

And about the car. Ha!

thanks again