J_File

Windows and 4k monitors

Discussion created by J_File on Mar 3, 2017
Latest reply on Mar 3, 2017 by sreese

Hi all,

Well, I have been merrily building my FileMaker solution on a nice 13" MacBook Pro and 4K monitor (using an app called Resolutionator to allow me to quickly change resolutions as an when I want). Everything looks absolutely lovely. Today I thought I would just check to see what it would look like in Windows, so I bought a copy of Windows 10 home, installed it on my mac using Bootcamp, installed FM15 Advanced onto Windows and loaded up my Database.

First impressions were that everything just looked really really small. No problems, I went into display settings and had a poke around. Reducing the resolution of the monitors (both 13" mbp and 4k monitor) just made everything big and blurry, and introduced a lot of horizontal and vertical scrolling. Not good. Messing around with scaling options equally did not result in what I was looking for. So I did some looking around on the internet and this seemed to be my salvation: Neo Shamon (www.neoshamon.com): Adobe App Scaling on High DPI Displays (FIX). Although it purports to work with Adobe products, others have used it successfully on other products as well. 

After following all the steps, made absolutely no difference whatsoever!

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can make my solution "look right" (i.e. scale correctly in Windows) on a mbp 13" retina display and 27" 4K Dell monitor?

The reason I am doing all this is because I know my clients ALL use windows laptops / pcs and 1920 x 1080 monitors (and yes I probably should have just bought the Windows PC and an HD monitor to begin with!). I just like working in the OSX environment far more than the Windows one.

If I can't get a satisfactory result from all this, I am tempted to just buy a very cheap Windows laptop and run it on its native resolution, and open my Database on that every now and then to check it looks OK, whilst continuing to do most of the development work in OSX. The most common user resolution on a laptop would be 1600 x 900. I figure that If it looks ok on this, stretching it to Full HD would continue to look OK.

Any help on this would be really appreciated. I thought I was killing 2 birds with one stone by using bootcamp, but I don't think Windows and FileMaker necessarily play nicely on these High Resolution Displays...

Thanks, James

Outcomes