1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2017 6:42 AM by philmodjunk

Copy Fields

glenngrankvist

HI

I have Made a nice CRM program in File maker

But when i a come to Projects i have used Tab control with like 10 Pages,
      i have made the first page as i like to have it, and would like to copy the same lay out to page/project number two and so on.
      No issue to copy past, but when i write something in the first filed it will come on all pages.

Not good.

I don't know if i have to make a new layout for every page, even if it have to look the same ? or can i brake the change ?

When i use the Field picker and use the same field from the same source and bring it in on page number two, its working perfect and without bringing the data with. but still means that i have to do the same layout 10-15 times again huuu.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Copy Fields
          wimdecorte

There is some fundamental understanding missing I think that you can't fix by just layout work.

If you are on a record then a field for that record will show the same data everywhere you use it, using tabs does not change the context of the record.  Nor will creating a new layout for what is now on a tab.

To display different data you have to be on a different record or display data through a relationship.

In that sense I don't understand what you describe as being fixed if you use the field picker instead of copying and pasting fields.  Pasting a field or picking it from the field picker does not determine the data you will see.  The record context of the layout you are on does.

• 2. Re: Copy Fields
            beverly

Some screenshots, perhaps, would help here to define what you mean?

beverly

• 3. Re: Copy Fields
              glenngrankvist

I got that
              but if i have 10 tabs, as i see it its 10 different pages,

If i bring a field in to one page/tab i can write something in there and all fine.

When i bring the same field from the same source/ Table in to page number two it will work independent
              so then if i write something in the filed on page one it will not been showed in page two.
              as it does if i copy the field in page one and page it in page two.

did i understand you right. do i have to make a new field and a new filed name for every page ?

Thanks

• 5. Re: Copy Fields
                Johan Hedman

Do you have 10 different kind of Project or many many fields so that you need to divide into so many tabs?

• 6. Re: Copy Fields
                  wimdecorte

glenngrankvist wrote:

I got that
                  but if i have 10 tabs, as i see it its 10 different pages,

If i bring a field in to one page/tab i can write something in there and all fine.

When i bring the same field from the same source/ Table in to page number two it will work independent

A "page" is not a different record so you can not expect different data to show up in a new page (layout) or tab panel.

I can't answer the question of creating additional fields; but it sounds like a wrong approach - it sounds you are trying to solve a display issue by adding fields to a table.

The database schema needs to be decided independent of how you want to display the data.  You should never have to add fields just to make a display work.

So we're back to the fundamental understanding of context.  Describe what you want to display on 'page 1' and what you want to display on 'page 2'.  Also send a screenshot of your graph so we have an idea of how the database itself is built.

• 7. Re: Copy Fields
                    beverly

'tabs' are NOT pages (or different records).

Tabs on the layout in FileMaker is not the same as web pages on tabs.

If you have 10 different projects for any particular record (person, company, ???), then you might be able to use this design with related data (one portal row on each tab). But I would not use that method.

Have you gone through the tutorials/training for the basics in FileMaker?

beverly

• 8. Re: Copy Fields
                      glenngrankvist

Yes i have
                      But it could be that 10 projects are handle of the same person

• 9. Re: Copy Fields
                        wimdecorte

glenngrankvist wrote:

Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 13.21.36.png

I didn't see the screenshot before my last reply.  So you want to display info about different projects on each tab.  As Bev indicated the only way you can do that with this interface is if each project is related to the AAE record the user happens to be on.  And on tab1 you would show the first related project, on tab2 the 2nd related project.  That's not a very clean way to do it.  You'd probably need 10 globals to store the respective IDs for those 10 projects and then have a separate relationship from each global to the project table.  Since you also want to show portals of data related to the project, that will get messy in a hurry.

So purely from a design point of view it would be better to show a list of projects and bring up more detail by selecting a project record and showing its detail on a layout based on that project.

• 10. Re: Copy Fields
                          glenngrankvist

As can be showed at the picture

I have a layout on the first page, i would like to have the same layout on all pages,

But without that any of the fields are linked.

As it is if i copy past.

Then if i do that, i will have the same lay out, but if i write something in project number one, the same text will be showed on all sides. ( make no sens )

But if i go in to field Pic and drag it out there and make all over manual then its working,
                          But to do the same procedure for 10-15 pages is seams not logic.

Last  i don't understand ( sorry ) if i copy past ( even if the fields are empty ) link to each other,
                          i know sometimes that if you past special it can change original to suit. thanks for the help

• 11. Re: Copy Fields
                            glenngrankvist

Yes its related to AAE

Its just as a simple CRM, one company with clients that have many projects.

• 12. Re: Copy Fields
                              glenngrankvist

I made a box where i can surch for witch project that is active and as can be seen on top i have id for each client, and on the other tabs on top i have more underlying information regarding each client.
                              It could be better way :-) but in this i have all relevant information for each client and i can go back and see witch project or client that is active.

• 13. Re: Copy Fields
                                wimdecorte

glenngrankvist wrote:

Last i don't understand ( sorry ) if i copy past ( even if the fields are empty ) link to each other

That is the crux of it;  in order to get past this you will need to understand the concept of context and how it drives what data you can see.

Every layout in FM is based on a table occurrence (TO), every TO is based on a base table but it is the TO that drives what data is displayed and what other related data you can show.

Your layout is named AAE, we can't tell what TO that is based on and we haven't seen your grap so we don't know what other TOs are related to the one that your AAE layout is based on.

By using a tab panel object you are not changing context magically from AAE to the project context.

• 14. Re: Copy Fields
                                  beverly

you have just defined a solution with RELATED data.

Companies -< Clients -< Projects

There are many ways to display this (even your 'tabbed' design), but limiting the Projects to 10 is not good design.

There is an old example in the Resources on this forum:

(it can be opened & converted to FMP15)

beverly

1 2 Previous Next