1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2017 5:52 AM by MartinCrosman

Interactive Container Viewing PDF in Sierra

MartinCrosman

I have a solution in which PDFs are stored in a container field using External storage and the interactive setting. The solution is hosted using Filemaker server 15 and users are using Filemaker Pro 15.

I recently tried opening the solution on a mac running Sierra. The PDFs are viewable.It is expected that when viewing the PDF it will show the top of the first page at the top of the container. However, what is happening is it is opening showing half way down the first page and you need to scroll up to get back up to the top of the page. This is happening across 60 different files and all of these work fine when using Mac with Yosemite (same Filemaker Pro version on both.) or Windows.

I was using Acrobat Reader as the default PDF viewer but changed this to Preview. I also removed the Adobe preference files from the Library. That didn't change anything. The opening half way down the page presists.

I removed all the PDFs from the file and re inserted them and this didn't change anything.

While I am noting this, I should add that on a Mac, I have pretty well given up using Acrobat Reader as the default viewer plug in. As has been noted in other posts, it seems to cause Filemaker Pro to crash. Another annoying thing is when you scroll the container, the container does not actually scroll but instead the PDF starts to "scrounge" up at the bottom of the container. You can use the scroll bar to move from page to page or the page controller but this does help if you trying to scroll within a given page. I believe this is recognized in the Knowledgebase but it would be great to be able to have all users Acrobat Reader whether windows or Mac users.

Anyone have this happen and have any advice to share?

• 1. Re: Interactive Container Viewing PDF in Sierra
          BeatriceBeaubien

Hi Martin,

I don't have anything useful to contribute, but I am interested in your observation that FileMaker crashes when viewing PDF's with Acrobat Reader. I have seen this on a user's Mac, but never on my own Mac.

Please could you fill me in on what version of FileMaker you observed this? I have seen it in version 13 (but again, not on my own computer).

Al the best,

Beatrice Beaubien, PhD

Toronto

• 2. Re: Interactive Container Viewing PDF in Sierra
            ch0c0halic

Every time I've seen a user's Mac crash with Adobe it's because the version of Abode is old(er). Installing the latest version has fixed it every time. Caveat Emptor, YMMV depending on the combination of OS, FMP, and Adobe versions in use on a specific computer. Restart the computer to ensure everything starts up with the new version's info.

I've never seen "scrunching while scrolling" or the document opening to the middle of a page. I suggest setting the Container/Image to align top and left.

Also, I have found it very annoying to have to scroll around a document inside a container. I (the developer) should make a PDF viewing layout that uses the whole window for the container field and set the image to scale with the window.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Interactive Container Viewing PDF in Sierra
              MartinCrosman

Hi Beatrice  and Chocohalic

I continue to see Filemaker crashes on my Mac. The crash does usually coincide with opening a record and the loading of the container. This has been going on for some time and it is also reported by others on this forum.

It is happening currently using Filemaker 15.03 and Acrobat Reader DC latest version and up to date. Running Sierra on my Mac but was doing it on Yosemite as well.

As far as not wanting users to scroll around the document. Must of these PDF are multi pages and some are 500 pages so scrolling is a good thing!

Hope this helps,

• 4. Re: Interactive Container Viewing PDF in Sierra
                BeatriceBeaubien

Hi ch0c0halic,

Thanks very much for your input. I'll bear all you've said in mind next time I see this.

All the best,

Beatrice

• 5. Re: Interactive Container Viewing PDF in Sierra
                  ch0c0halic

Wow, 500 pages?

A 500 page PDF is going to take a long time to download. I've gotta ask, is the 'crash' showing the OS crash screen or is FMP becoming unresponsive? Did you check the Activity Monitor for FMP CPU/RAM/Disk/Network usage?

Can you correlate specific records being viewed with the 'crash'?

Are you using secure download of the container fields?

What OS and version is on the FMS computer? I couldn't find that in the post.

You said it is working fine on Yosemite but not on Sierra. Exactly which version of Sierra? And which version of Adobe DC?

Are there any other user's in your office with this combination who are not having this issue?

You indicated you switched to using Preview. Did you uninstall Adobe Acrobat Reader DC?

Sorry for all the questions. I'd like to help troubleshoot this but I don't have enough information to go on.

• 6. Re: Interactive Container Viewing PDF in Sierra
                    MartinCrosman

Most of the documents are under 10MB but there are some that are + 500MB  and there is also some videos being streamed. For example one 248 page PDF file is only 4.8 MB and opens instantly. I should add the server is located off site at a data centre and users are accessing the solution via WAN.

The crashes don't seem to be tied to opening a specific record that has a large PDF in the container. Just random.

The crash is the OS crash screen.

I am using open storage not secure option.

The OS on the server is Yosemite 10.10.5 and it is running Filemaker Server 15.0.1.137.  The problem has been around for a while and experienced when the server was running server 13, 14. Again this is only a problem for the Mac users when running Acrobat. Windows users don't have the crashes. FileMaker GO users have no crashes.

On my Yosemite Mac the solution does crash when using Acrobat Reader as the web plug in. It does not, however, experience the opening in the middle of the page problem I originally noted.This problem also does not exist when using Preview.

I don't have others in my office using this as it is used by my clients located in different cities.

When I switch over to Preview I did not uninstall Reader I do remove the Acrobat web plug preference files from the Library folder.

Thanks for all the questions.

• 7. Re: Interactive Container Viewing PDF in Sierra
                      TSPigeon

MartinCrosman:

Thank you for your post and information!

I was unable to reproduce your initial issue with FileMaker Pro 15.0.3 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.3.

I was also unable to reproduce a crash on a simple database with 50 or so PDFs inserted into an Interactive container field with Mac OS X 10.10.5.

I did find a known issue with FileMaker Pro crashing when switching from layout mode to browse mode if an interactive container is formatted to autosize in all sides. This happens if Adobe Reader is configured as the default PDF viewer and not with Preview. I wouldn't think your clients would experience this issue though.

Would it be possible to send us you Crash Log? Sending you a private message.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Interactive Container Viewing PDF in Sierra
                        MartinCrosman

Thanks. I have recent crash log as requested.

My users would be switching from layout to browse. Though I can tell you that the containers are formatted to autosize in all sides.

I also do switch from layout to browse when developing. It could be that there has been a crash while doing that but it isn't something that I can't replicate.

Thanks for your interest and help.

• 9. Re: Interactive Container Viewing PDF in Sierra
                          TSPigeon

MartinCrosman:

I have found a couple reports that almost identically match your crash thread, but their causes seem a little stretched.

-Are you able to reproduce this issue in a New File or Starter Solution?

-I know you said it was up to date, but can you confirm the exact update of Acrobat Reader DC?

-Just to confirm, you experience this issue on 10.10.5 and 10.12.3?

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Interactive Container Viewing PDF in Sierra
                            MartinCrosman

I have not tried to replicate this on the starter solution but have had this crash when working on wide range of files. We use this feature in almost everything we build.

Happening on both 10.10.5 and 10.12.3

Reader Info for both

Architecture: x86_64

Build: 15.23.20056.213124

AGM: 4.30.67

CoolType: 5.14.5

JP2K: 1.2.2.37658

• 11. Re: Interactive Container Viewing PDF in Sierra
                              TSPigeon

MartinCrosman:

Thank you for the additional information.

I have added your information to an existing report to be reviewed. I will post back here when further information is available.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Interactive Container Viewing PDF in Sierra
                                TSPigeon

MartinCrosman:

The last Crash thread you sent me was for 10.10.5. Would it be possible for you to send me one for 10.12.3 as well?

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Interactive Container Viewing PDF in Sierra
                                  TSPigeon

MartinCrosman:

Thank you! MacOS 10.12 seems to have a slightly different report for this issue, so this will help us compare other crashes we've received on it.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Interactive Container Viewing PDF in Sierra
                                    MartinCrosman

Most welcome. I hope it helps out. Let me know if you need anything further.

Martin

1 2 Previous Next