9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2017 8:02 PM by rgordon

Horizontal Portals

hankshrier

I know this doesn't exist in FileMaker. I know I can mimic the effect using repeating fields.  Here is the problem. I need a user to be able to tap in a "cell" that activates a script that adds an item to an order. CurrentIy I do this with a vertical portal and of course it works perfectly.
      odel. so the dat sits in one table and the interface in the other table

I'm using the separation model. So the data sits in one table and the interface in the other table.  I'm considering creating a PHP page and using a web viewer to display the data.  I'll need to figure out some way to have the user tap or double tap on an item to add it to their "basket".
      s done this, please contact

Open to all ideas. If anyone has done this, please contact me at 408-252-5418.  I"m in the GMT-2 time zone.

Or send me an email and I'll call or Skype with you.  hank@stratusdevelopment.com  skype hankshrier.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Horizontal Portals
          philmodjunk

You can use what we call a horizontal portal.

Put a serires of one row portals side by side. In portal setup, specify "initial row 1". In the second, "initial row 2" and so forth.

• 2. Re: Horizontal Portals
            hankshrier

Perfect.  Thanks.  Will work like a Charm.  I'm using a slide control to view items in different categories.

You saved me tons of work. One more kudo for the FileMaker Community.

• 3. Re: Horizontal Portals
              rgordon

Hank,  if you are using FileMaker Pro 14 or 15 you could also use a button bar.  The advantage of a button bar is you only need one button bar instead of multiple portals.  You can easily have an unlimited number of items to pick.  If you use portals , you need a portal for every item. The FileMaker calc engine is also integrated into the button bar. I've attached a sample file demonstrating the button bar.

• 4. Re: Horizontal Portals
                rouelf

Gordon, thanks for sharing Horizontal_portal file. Neat methodology !!!

• 5. Re: Horizontal Portals
                  philmodjunk

I agree that a button bar can be handy for this but,

"If you use portals , you need a portal for every item."

is simply not the case.

You can manipulate match fields and filter expressions to bring up different values. You can also give the last portal a scroll bar.

And you can even consider returning to a vertical portal, but placed inside a popover to save space.

• 6. Re: Horizontal Portals
                    rgordon

"Put a serires of one row portals side by side. In portal setup, specify "initial row 1". In the second, "initial row 2" and so forth."

In your original answer "so forth"  suggests a portal for every item. Didn't see anything about match fields or filters to dynamically change the portal values.  I should have listened to my grandpa about why you should never assume. ;^)

"If you use portals , you need a portal for every item."

Maybe I should have said a portal for every item you want to display to the screen at one time.

"You can manipulate match fields and filter expressions to bring up different values."

Not sure why you want to go through all of this work when the button bar is pretty easy to set up.  If you are going to use filtered expressions there wouldn't be a need for portals. I didn't need to use a button bar.  I could have done something very similar by using three calc fields but I didn't want to create additional fields if I didn't need them.  I used the calc engine in the button bar instead of the calc fields.

"You can also give the last portal a scroll bar."

In my opinion a scroll bar on a one row portal is not a very nice UI for the end user.

The great thing about FileMaker is that we can each have our own preferred way of doing something.  Perhaps if you can post a sample file that demonstrates using multiple single row portals, match fields, filtered expressions and a scroll bar to display an unlimited number of items in a "horizontal portal", I might understand why portals might be a better way that using a simple button bar technique.

• 7. Re: Horizontal Portals
                      rgordon

I updated this file to now also work in FileMaker 12 and 13.  Instead of using a button bar, it uses 3 unstored calc to simulate the horizontal portal.

• 8. Re: Horizontal Portals
                        philmodjunk

I'm not suggesting that portals are better than a button bar. But I'm also not prepared to accept the opposite either. The fact that the button bar is a single object is convenient, but a small one as you can easily group the portals into a single object.

"Maybe I should have said a portal for every item you want to display to the screen at one time. "

Having added a section on button bars as value lists to my second Adventures in FileMaking file,  I don't see an advantage given that you have to both display a value for each button's label and then again set up an expression for its script parameter. The amount of effort comes out about the same in my experience.

"If you are going to use filtered expressions there wouldn't be a need for portals. I didn't need to use a button bar.  I could have done something very similar by using three calc fields but I didn't want to create additional fields if I didn't need them.  I used the calc engine in the button bar instead of the calc fields."

There are options that you may not have considered. The portal filter or match field can be identical for each portal, controlling what group of records appear in the portal rows. And a portal row can easily contain separate, correctly formatted fields where the same is not always the case if you use a single calculation.

Ironically, the main reason that I described a horizontal portal is that HankShrier indicated that they do not exist. I then responded back as it seemed you were overstating the case for button bars. I do also use button bars for this type of interface need, but I also use a horizontal portal if it seems the better option.

I am much more likely to use a vertical portal inside a popover than either of these options as it is much easier to set up and takes up no more space than a drop down list.

• 9. Re: Horizontal Portals
                          rgordon

I agree with you about using a vertical portal inside a popover.  I try to use popovers as much as possible.  I do find at times a popovers opening position can be a problem especially on an iPad.  I did your suggestion of filtering the portals. I had to add a sequential serial number to filter on the serial number.  Is there a better way to filter the portals than using a serial number?  I used the same navigation that I used for the button bar and it worked well.  So far the amount of work is about the same.  The one potential problem I see is keeping the horizontal portal alphabetized if I add a new fruit or delete a fruit in the sample file. I think I need to run a script to reserialize the serial number.  Changing serial numbers for related records can also be problematic. The button bar automatically alphabetizes through the relationship. How would you deal with the alphabetizing issue?