5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2017 1:54 PM by bobmaher

WebDirect Controls Inoperative.

bobmaher

There seems to be a bug in WebDirect.  The problem is you can wind up with controls that work fine when the database is accessed by FMP, but are inoperative when accessed via WebDirect.  I am using FMP-14 Advanced and FM Server 15.

The problem seems to occur during design when you place a control (e.g., a scripted button or even just a field object) onto a layout, when it is part of a group, even if the group is just two objects like a field and its label.  In WebDirect you cannot even enter the field or make a button work, even though everything works fine while accessing the DB from the Server using FMP.  (Furthermore the problematic ‘grouping’ can be where two initial objects are not even actually grouped, but are simultaneously selected and copy/pasted/duplicated to somewhere else within a layout, including putting the multiple objects onto a Popover.)

The only solution I have found is to ungroup anything that is not working, and one-by-one  re-applying the single object onto the layout, re-establishing the field's assignment in a working panel if necessary.

Does anyone recognize this problem?  Is there some work-around?  Was this fixed in FMP 15?

• 1. Re: WebDirect Controls Inoperative.
          Malcolm

This issue is described in the documentation for WebDirect. It is a gotcha but FMI are aware of it and warning you in advance.

malcolm

• 2. Re: WebDirect Controls Inoperative.
            bobmaher

Thanks for the tip, Malcolm.  Could you point me to where in the FM documentation this issue is described?  Is there any better way to deal with the issue other than what I described?

Thanks, Bob.

• 3. Re: WebDirect Controls Inoperative.
              philmodjunk

It's a matter of stacking order as I understand it. Outside of Webdirect, you can place objects on top of the field or button object and the mouse click drops through them to click the field or button on the bottom.

So in webdirect, the button/field has to be on top. This can require using placeholders with fields and incorporating fields used as button labels into the label property of the button instead of just layering it on top of the button. In regular buttons, you can use a merge field. In button bars, you can just select the field as a calculated label.

• 4. Re: WebDirect Controls Inoperative.
                Malcolm

Look at the WebDirect resources, https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/docs/15/en/fm15_webdirect_guide.pdf.

I know it's not in red, on page one, but it's in there somewhere. The documentation is presented in a neutral, technical manner so you can't flick through to find the good bits. If it was "WebDirect for Dummies" you can be sure that half of the paragraphs would be in highlighted boxes with a "pro tip" symbol and the rest would have a picture of a bear-trap in the margin ;-)

Malcolm

• 5. Re: WebDirect Controls Inoperative.
                  bobmaher

Thanks, Malcolm.  I think this entry from the link you provided may be what you were thinking of:

"FileMaker WebDirect does not allow users to click objects that are located behind other layout objects, even if the front-most objects are transparent or if users click empty space in an object group. Rather than stacking multiple objects:

1 use calculated values for tab labels
                  1 add icons to buttons instead of stacking images in front of buttons 1 group multiple objects and apply button settings to the group "

That entry evidently is in line with what philmodjunk was saying-- about the stacking order: ensure that anything you want a WebDirect user to interact with is right on top, not buried under (or grouped with?) any other objects.

Bob.

1 of 1 people found this helpful