6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2017 8:13 AM by LoriE

Check box in portal row to select record/s then apply a script

LoriE

Hi All,

I am working in a system of database files created many years ago by someone other than myself. It is a contract administration database for Contemplated change notices and Change Orders. The Contract admin has a layout with a portal with all the CCNs for one project. To change a CCN (Contemplated change notice) to a CO (Change Order), you would select the edit option in the portal row which would bring you to the document for that record in another layout where you could select a button that say "approve" which initials a script to change it from a CCN to a CO (contemplated change notice to change order).

I would like to do is from the portal by placing a check box or such beside each portal record and then only approve those that have been selected.

Thank you,

Lori

• 1. Re: Check box in portal row to select record/s then apply a script
          philmodjunk

In other words:

Select multiple portal rows by clicking

Click a button to run one script that changes/updates your solution to turn all of the selected CCOs to COs and without opening a 'detail' view of each as is currently the procedure?

You don't actually need a check box field for this as you can use a button where the button's appearance changes--such as to make a "tick mark" visible to show that a portal row has been selected.

To see working examples of such a method, you can take a look at:

Adventures In FileMaking #2 - enhanced value selection

The "check boxes with scroll bars" examples would be the ones to examine for this.

That will at least get you started. How to use that list of selected CCO records to produce your COs may be the next issue. Feel free to post back if that's the case.

• 3. Re: Check box in portal row to select record/s then apply a script
            LoriE

Wow, thank you and I will thank you in the future for the adventures. Lots of ready to do in this file.

So much appreciated.

Lori

• 4. Re: Check box in portal row to select record/s then apply a script
              LoriE

Hi Phil,

Previously you wrote:

You don't actually need a check box field for this as you can use a button where the button's appearance changes--such as to make a "tick mark" visible to show that a portal row has been selected.

To see working examples of such a method, you can take a look at:

Adventures In FileMaking #2 - enhanced value selection

The "check boxes with scroll bars" examples would be the ones to examine for this.

That will at least get you started. How to use that list of selected CCO records to produce your COs may be the next issue. Feel free to post back if that's the case.

So okay, what i have been tasked to do is to modify an existing database that someone else has developed.

I need to change how a CCN (contemplated change notice) is transformed into a CO (Change Order)

1. I want the CCN to remain in its portal but with the approval date added to the appropriate field

2. then I want the CCN to go to a layout that is set up as the CO (change order)

3. I also want to be able to select 1 or more CCNs and approve them so that they change to a CO and list all the CCN numbers that where selected.

The issues are:

There is only one layout with a heading CCN/CO and when it is a ccn it has a certain number and when it is approved the field with CCN is changed to CO. I want two to be able to keep the CCN and also have a CO. But will a new record have to be added? Yes, i believe it would.

also, the CCN layout is based on a table in the CCA database file, the CO is a separate database.

I guess what i am looking for first of all is some ideas and advice on how to go about dissecting the nitty gritty of these two databases and figure out what all is affected when a ccn is changed to a co.

Any advise at this point would be great.

The Script "approve" is what makes the change from ccn to co and is located in the co database

If(co::type="co")

Exit script

Else

Set Field (co:Value of previous co; cca::co Total Value)      I think this line has to do with pricing???

Set Field (CO::Type "CO")

commit record/requests (no dialog)

Set field (CO::Approved; Get (currentdate))

Commit records/requests (no dialog)

End If

Thanks for any advise,

Lori

• 5. Re: Check box in portal row to select record/s then apply a script
                philmodjunk

but will a new record have to be added? Yes, i believe it would.

I have no idea. It's not clear from what you have posted whether you have one table for both  CCO's and CCN's or one for each. From the sample script, it looks like you have one table for both and thus:

I want two to be able to keep the CCN and also have a CO.

would seem to be a major design change with a number of potential problems for your solution since it's not currently designed to have both a CCO and CCN record for the same change. (But I am guessing like crazy here).

how to go about dissecting the nitty gritty of these two databases

Hard to do any of that from the info provided thus far. "Two databases" means what exactly? Two files or two tables in one file?

• 6. Re: Check box in portal row to select record/s then apply a script
                  LoriE

two files....

Thank you for your response...I will think about this some more....

Lori