user26726

Update Native iOS Apps created with FileMaker iOS app SDK (FIAS)

Discussion created by user26726 on Mar 6, 2017
Latest reply on Mar 6, 2017 by user26726

This is my first contribution to the FileMaker Community, I hope that I am doing everything correct.... this is a little nerve racking.

First the disclaimers

• I am not an advanced developer and the solution that I am developing does not require security. I am not concerned about the end user getting access to any of the solution files.

• I have an app approved up through beta testing in TestFilght, I have updated the application on my iPad and the user data is preserved.  I cannot guarantee this will work when the app is transitioned into the official App store as I do not have my app to this state.   I do not see why it would not work, I just want you to consider this.

The youtube video that I am linking to contains a solution to update an iOS app while preserving the user’s data.  The solution relies on the data separation model.  From a self-taught intermediate developer’s viewpoint the data separation model is the easiest to manage model when the end goal is preserving user data when updating a FIAS App.  If you are not familiar with this model I strongly recommend taking the time to educate yourself on it if you want to follow along with this solution.

I hope someone gets some value out of this!   I really want to contribute to the wonderful FileMaker community as so many other gracious people have in the past.

If there is any interest I will spend the time to get the files uploaded somewhere so you can download them.

For the grand finale... a link to the video

FileMaker iOS App update solution - YouTube

Links to a little more info on using custom url: FileMaker iOS SDK - Part 4 

Outcomes