13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2017 2:22 PM by Vincent_L

Filemaker 15 Pro Performance Tip (Windows)

mpence@clayutility.org

Hi All,

Over the past 10 years, I have spent a lot of time researching ways to improve Filemaker performance.  Ultimately, the same tips keep coming up.  Recently, we started having issues opening databases with external authentication.  Some users were seeing 20+ minute load times for a 36 database solution.  After exhausting all tips on the internet, I went back to my Windows 98 days and recalled something we used to do to improve performance - empty the temp folder on the user's profile!

After trying this on a few of our more troubled users, I saw 20 minute logins drop to seconds!  With proof of concept showing a successful endeavor, I then made this an automatic process through group policy using a script.

The script that I wrote is below.  Feel free to copy it to a batch file.  You can put it in a shared location (UNC) and attach it to a logoff policy in your group policy editor.  If you're not running Active Directory, you can still set this on each computer.  I have also attached the batch file for your convenience.

REM Profile temp directory clean up

REM Written by Matthew Pence

REM By attaching this to the logoff script of a GPO (user settings), you can clean up a temp directory after every logoff!

REM Delete files in the root of the temp directory

del /q %temp%\*.*

REM Delete all subdirectories in the temp folder

for /D %%D IN (%temp%\*) do rmdir /q /s "%%D"

• 1. Re: Filemaker 15 Pro Performance Tip (Windows)
          BruceHerbach

What version of Windows are you doing this on?  Sometimes old tricks can be very useful.

• 2. Re: Filemaker 15 Pro Performance Tip (Windows)
            mpence@clayutility.org

Our organization is currently running Windows 7 Professional.

• 3. Re: Filemaker 15 Pro Performance Tip (Windows)
              philmodjunk

By attaching this to the logoff script of a GPO (user settings), you can clean up a temp directory after every logoff!

You aren't cleaning them up, you are deleting them. Not saying this isn't necessary given the issue you have encountered, but temp files are there to improve system performance by reducing the amount of data that has to be fetched from the server in order for the client to do what it needs to do. So if you start from a blank slate each session, you may have improved startup at the expense of losing performance in other areas.

Thus you might not want to make this an automatic process to kick in at the end of every session, but something to perform whenever the "slows" return on you.

I also suggest using Report an Issue to report this to FileMaker Inc tech support. FileMaker 15 was specifically reworked to do more with temp files in order to improve performance, so they need to know if what they have done is introducing a glitch into the process for some.

• 4. Re: Filemaker 15 Pro Performance Tip (Windows)
                wimdecorte

philmodjunk wrote:

I also suggest using Report an Issue to report this to FileMaker Inc tech support. FileMaker 15 was specifically reworked to do more with temp files in order to improve performance, so they need to know if what they have done is introducing a glitch into the process for some.

Fully agreed.  There have been some reports of issues with the FM temp files and dbcache folders; so do raise it as an issue to add weight to the conversation.

As to the batch file: you may want to go a little more granular and delete just the FM related files and folders so that you won't affect any other application's performance.

• 5. Re: Filemaker 15 Pro Performance Tip (Windows)
                  mpence@clayutility.org

Alright, I will look into report this as an issue.  I have definitely seen some problems that may be related to temp files.

Presently, I have not seen any decrease in performance due to removal of the temp files, but we do have a very robust network infrastructure including 10 gbe connectivity in the data facilities and very fast Nimble iSCSI storage.

Since deploying this script to remove the temp files, I have seen a reduction in the number of .NET associated client crashes as well.

• 6. Re: Filemaker 15 Pro Performance Tip (Windows)
                    Johan Hedman

It is not wrong to have many files on your solution, but it would make your solution way faster to have a separation model solution where you have all data (tables) in one file and all layouts and functionality in a Graphical User Interface file (GUI).

• 7. Re: Filemaker 15 Pro Performance Tip (Windows)
                      wimdecorte

Johan Hedman wrote:

It would make your solution way faster to have a separation model solution where you have all data (tables) in one file and all layouts and functionality in a Graphical User Interface file (GUI).

That is a bold claim that is not accurate across the board as stated here IMHO and experience.   The data separation model makes it easier to deploy changes to layouts and scripts without having to worry about the data and that is basically its only purpose.  It is not a strategy that will give immediate and wholesale speed improvements to a solution.  In fact if you take a single-file solution and split it into a UI front end and a data back-end you'll pretty much get the exact same speed from your solution.

In some circumstances, by giving each user a copy of the UI file on their local machines (and not hosting it on FileMaker Server with the data file) you can get more speed especially in WAN conditions.  But that creates a slew of other problems such as security (each user has a full copy of a lot of your UI/Scripts), stability (an unstable workstation can damage the UI file more easily) and deployment (have to use a mechanism for each user to get a copy of the UI file and any updates to it).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Filemaker 15 Pro Performance Tip (Windows)
                        mpence@clayutility.org

Ideally, yes, that would be the best model.  However, many of these databases are variants spanning over a decade.  New development work must move forward, leaving no time for re-working these databases.  (literally everything in our organization is currently done in Filemaker from financial, billing, customer service, payroll, service tickets...everything.)

The operational performance seems to be quite nice after clearing the temp files, giving weight to the idea that there may be something not quite right with the way the client handles temp files.

• 9. Re: Filemaker 15 Pro Performance Tip (Windows)
                          Johan Hedman

wimdecorte

Having multiple files where you have to handle OnFirstWindowOpen triggers in each file, having Privilege Set, Security Accounts, duplication of relationships and much more. All those things and much more is the reason I say that having a separation model is way faster then having so many files.

Then we can debate whether we should stay with one file or separation model, but that is a whole other questions

• 10. Re: Filemaker 15 Pro Performance Tip (Windows)
                            Johan Hedman

Start with locking at your hardware. It should have minimum of what FileMaker Server demands, but much better some more for all things.

FMS15 Tech Specs

FileMaker Server 15 Technical Specifications | FileMaker

If you have a very nice machine, then you can go into network. Make sure you have nice cables, good routers, stay away from to many switches and have good bandwidth if you need to reach it from outside your building.

Make sure your FMS is the only software running on that machine and that you do not have any antivirus software running or index turned on.

That is a good start

• 11. Re: Filemaker 15 Pro Performance Tip (Windows)
                              wimdecorte

Johan Hedman wrote:

wimdecorte

Having multiple files where you have to handle OnFirstWindowOpen triggers in each file, having Privilege Set, Security Accounts, duplication of relationships and much more. All those things and much more is the reason I say that having a separation model is way faster then having so many files.

I want to be clear about this; "faster" in development in maintenance, not faster in pure solution performance as experienced by the users.

Claiming that data/UI separation is going to make any solution perform better is not true and can lead people to do expensive rework for no performance gain.

• 12. Re: Filemaker 15 Pro Performance Tip (Windows)
                                Malcolm

Having a single GUI file to maintain is convenient, but having many files to maintain is part of the job, so I don't see it as a problem. The separation model is great for development. It has many more uses than the commonly mentioned GUI file addressing one or more data sources.

A very stable method of versioning can be achieved using the separation model. In some situations, the best way to handle change in an existing system is to keep everything. Clone everything, then use the separation model to connect the clones to the originals. With careful development, all the new work can be done in the "separated" files. Ensure absolutely no change is made to the original files. When all development work is complete you can choose to integrate the data sources with the new modules or leave things as they are, allowing version roll-back at any time.

malcolm

• 13. Re: Filemaker 15 Pro Performance Tip (Windows)
                                  Vincent_L

Yet, unfortunately they destroyed data reliability in the process

FMS 15v3 huge issue : Client-Server Cache gets corrupt / out of sync, SQL Queries unreliable