3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2017 1:36 PM by philmodjunk

Figuring Hours per Day for Projects

rcbmi1

Hi all,

I have a fairly simple (I hope) issue that I would appreciate some guidance on. We have a database filled with projects - roughly thirty that are "in work" or soon to be in work. We track our jobs based on the number of hours we bid the project for. Here's an example project:

Project Name                    Start Date     End Date          #Hours

Project 1A - 8675309        4/1/17           8/1/2017               830

Project 2A - 1122334        3/1/17            9/1/17                   940

I have created calculations to figure the number of working days between Start Date and End Date, and used that to divide the total number of hours, to figure an Hours Per Day value. This is how many hours we must put in to that job to complete it by the End Date.

Now for the million dollar question: How do I evaluate how many hours I have to work given a start and end date of my choosing? The purpose is to find out how many employees we will need to complete all jobs on time.This is fairly easy to do for one job in one time frame, but we have up to fifty projects running at one time and have been running out of employees to work. If we could evaluate the total number of hours we have in a given time period, say the month of June, we would know exactly how much more work we could take on.

Having something visual like a Gantt chart would be ideal, but it sounds like developing something like that might be over my head. I just need something quick and dirty so we have a rough estimate. I have toyed with creating a line chart with hours on the y-axis and dates of the week on the x-axis.

We are running FM14 with a server deployment and a mix of Win7-Win10 machines.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

James

• 1. Re: Figuring Hours per Day for Projects
          siplus

Something I've been doing more than once is to create a help table with dates running from 1.1.201X to 31.12.20YY.

It's a table having a date field for every record and a record for every day, encompassing 20 - 30 years from "now".

Once you have a structure like this you can define other fields and relationships to your existing data which will help you to evaluate all kinds of things. Graphs included.

• 2. Re: Figuring Hours per Day for Projects
            rcbmi1

Thanks for the help, siplus. That is what I ended up doing to achieve the chart portion, anyway. The beauty and pain of FileMaker is that there is almost always more than one way to accomplish something.

James

• 3. Re: Figuring Hours per Day for Projects
              philmodjunk

To paraphrase from a text book on managing projects that I had back in my college days:

Doubling the number of people does not cut the time to completion in half. There's some diminishing returns involved due to the fact that the more people you add to the team, the less productive they become as individuals due to the need for time spent in communication and coordinating between team members.

You probably knew that already, but just in case...