7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2017 7:21 AM by wimdecorte

Perform Script On Server error on FMS15

sharpie

Hi Guys

Does anyone have any idea why I would get the attached error msg on a hosted FMS15 file:- 'the host's capacity was exceeded, try again later' ?

I have set the max. number of simultaneous script sessions up to the max. 500 , as it was originally on 25, then 75.  In each of these cases we still get the same error when running our script from the PSOS step.

However when we run the script remotely from FMP it runs fine without error.  However only on one FMS15 server.  Other FMS15 servers are fine.. Has anybody else had this problem?  It would be great to hear from you if so.  Any ideas on which other setting I may have missed/need to configure that would affect this, other than 'max. number of simultaneous script sessions' .

Thanks

Sharpie

• 1. Re: Perform Script On Server error on FMS15
          siplus

what about the max number of users ?

• 2. Re: Perform Script On Server error on FMS15
            sharpie

Well that is set as it was on the v14 server which it worked fine with PSOS on. limit FMP connections to 250.

• 3. Re: Perform Script On Server error on FMS15
              sharpie

filemakerincorporated fmi_admin is it possible to get dodgy FMS license keys which can cause this kind of error?  My license key did come through in a slightly non standard way, so I'm wondering whether that could be affecting it somehow..   It's not the patch version 15.0.3.308 as using PSOS Step on other 15.0.3.308 servers works fine.

I hope you can help.

Many Thanks

• 4. Re: Perform Script On Server error on FMS15
                wimdecorte

sharpie wrote:

. limit FMP connections to 250.

That's not the number that drives the max number of allowed PSoS sessions.  It's the number on the same fms admin console page at the bottom:

As mentioned before in other threads: as a developer, when you want to use PSoS  you have to code conservatively and have a plan for when you get an error like this:

1- do you abort the user's workflow (is there any data in half-way state that you need to revert?

2- do you loop and retry a few times and then either decide on #1 or #3?

3- do you turn around and run the same functionality on the client instead of the server

You can't assume that the server will be ready.  You can always run out of sessions, the FMS script engine may have failed,...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Perform Script On Server error on FMS15
                  sharpie

Thanks wimdecorte. 

Is there a way of finding out whether the script engine has failed? and if so a way of fixing the script engine if it's failed.

In this case, as I'm sure in most, the reason for using PSOS is so that the user does not have to wait for the script; so that it does not disrupt their workflow.  Currently since we can not clear this error we just have it running client side, and the user wiating for it to run which is obiously not ideal and it is disrupting tier workflow.

• 6. Re: Perform Script On Server error on FMS15
                    wimdecorte

sharpie wrote:

Thanks wimdecorte.

Is there a way of finding out whether the script engine has failed? and if so a way of fixing the script engine if it's failed.

Yes on both.   When the script engine fails it writes an entry in the FMS event log.  So any event log monitoring can pick it up and alert you.  Including the minimal monitoring that is built into FMS.

Fixing it is done through this command: fmsadmin start fmse

since it is a command line tool it can be automated.

The monitoring and automating is part of what I talked about a lot: by using PSoS  your FMS is no longer just a database server, it is now an application server and that changes the game.  Including on how you monitor it and have automation in place to keep it running properly.

• 7. Re: Perform Script On Server error on FMS15
                      wimdecorte

sharpie wrote:

In this case, as I'm sure in most, the reason for using PSOS is so that the user does not have to wait for the script; so that it does not disrupt their workflow. Currently since we can not clear this error we just have it running client side, and the user wiating for it to run which is obiously not ideal and it is disrupting tier workflow.

Same way of dealing with it: as soon as you issue the PSoS call you have to trap for an error and be ready to deal with it.  The easiest is to just run the same functionality on the client.  Obviously that doesn't work if your client is FM Go and your PSoS script uses plugins...