6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2017 1:32 AM by user16545

Solved - Send Mail problems Filemaker Server Scheduled Script

user16545

HI,

we have a Filemaker Pro 14 script running on a Windows 2012 server.
      The script has a Send Mail by SMTP - script step
      It works fine.
      Mails are sent out in seconds with these SMTP settings .

Now, we created a schedule in Filemaker Server 15 on the same Windows 2012 server.

This schedule runs the same Filemaker script every 20 minutes.

The script works fine.

We receive a mail confirmation from Filemaker Server that the scheduled Filemaker script is completed without errors.

However, the same Send Mail script step does no longer send any mails.

No mail comes out of the Filemaker Server scheduled script.

Any idea why the FMP script stops sending mails out as soon as we incorporate that script in a FMS schedule?

• 1. Re: Send Mail problems Filemaker Server Scheduled Script
          mikebeargie

If you have Set Error Capture [on] specified, then it's probably completing without telling you about the errors.

You should be trapping for errors immediately after the Send Mail script step and logging them accordingly.

In my experience, Send Mail is not reliable. Email plugins are recommended for mission critical applications. The free BaseElements plugin supports SMTP sending and is server compatible.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Send Mail problems Filemaker Server Scheduled Script
            user16545

Thanks Mike for the input.

It's amazing because this SMTP mailing function worked fine foryears.

I changed the error capturing as you suggested.

The FMS15 logging shows no errors.
            And since this is a scheduled script, for unknown reasons, I can't debug it.
            So I have no clue what the cause of the problem can be.

Do you have any other ideas?

It works fine in FMP and doesn't work if included in a schedule which as such completes without errors.

• 3. Re: Send Mail problems Filemaker Server Scheduled Script
              MEC

I have a client running FM 13, with SMTPit Pro. They use Comcast Biz, and suddenly had a problem like this about 4 days ago. The fix for them was to change the port. This said, is it possible the OP's ISP has changed ports?

• 4. Re: Send Mail problems Filemaker Server Scheduled Script
                user16545

Hi,

thank you all very much for your answers!

After long searching I found the cause of the problem.
                In the SMTP options in the Send Mail script step I selected Encryption : TLS using port 587.

These settings work fine in the Filemaker Server 15 - General email options.

The settings also work fine in the Filemaker Pro Send Mail script step.

But these settings don't work in the Send Mail script step, if that script becomes a scheduled

FileMaker Server script.

After I changed the encryption setting to None and the port to 25 in the SMTP settings of the Send Mail script step, the mail messages get through in a scheduled script as well.

We have a second identical installation of the same application in a Filemaker Server 12 environment.

That works fine with TLS encryption over port 587 in the SMTP Settings of the Send Mail script step in a scheduled script. 

Does anyone have an idea why?

• 5. Re: Solved - Send Mail problems Filemaker Server Scheduled Script
                  Vaughan

Is port 587 open on the FMS 15 machine?

• 6. Re: Solved - Send Mail problems Filemaker Server Scheduled Script
                    user16545

I think so, Vaughan.

Messages (with the same SMTP settings in the Send Message script step) are only blocked when that script is included in a FMS15 scheduled script.
                    The same Filemaker Server 15 environment can send Error & Warning messages without problems.