5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2017 11:46 AM by philmodjunk

portals

garry107

11.JPG22.JPG33.JPG

Hey,

I am trying to create a layout for a table with two portals from 2 different tables. I have checked the relationships they are good.

eg: "Requirements" layout has a portal with from table "Contacts". here we can enter as many records for table "Contacts" for that particular record "Requirements"

table "Requirements" has a field Company in it. So what I wanted was a layout with the company name with all the contacts in it irrespective of the "Requirements". But I am getting an error where I could only find only one contact for every company.

pic 1 and 2 are of layout Requirements while pic 3 are of Company layout.

As you can see for same company but different requirements. in picture three you can see instead of 4 records for contacts I can only see the same one twice.

Thanks,

Garry

• 1. Re: portals
          philmodjunk

Don't think that your relationships really are "good" at least when it comes to what you need on this layout. A screenshot of your relationships graph with commentary identifying which TO boxes are specified for the layout and the two portals would be helpful.

And you might want to think about that portal to contacts a bit more. Won't the same contact need to be linked to more than one Requirement? If so, you have a many to many relationship and your portal should be to a join table linking contacts to requirements instead of a portal to contacts.

• 2. Re: portals
            garry107

44.JPG

the above is the relationship graph.

• 3. Re: portals
              philmodjunk

to repeat:

with commentary identifying which TO boxes are specified for the layout and the two portals would be helpful.

Which TO is specified for your layout? Projects 2

I am trying to create a layout for a table with two portals from 2 different tables.

So one of the portals is to contacts. What is the other portal based on and is it part of this problem.

From Projects 2, there is no link based on project to contacts that you can use to access just the contacts for one record in Projects. If you base your layout on Projects, instead of Projects 2, then there is a link that you can use to link to records by project if that field is being correctly populated with matching values from projects.

Is there never ever going to be more than one company for a Project?

Should all contacts for a given company be linked to a project when you link the company to the project?

• 4. Re: portals
                garry107

Is there never ever going to be more than one company for a Project?

no for a project there will always be just one company but a company can have many projects.

my requirement:

I want two layouts:-->

1. Project requirement

2. Company

Project requirement

• I add contacts with the help of add contact button which takes me to the contacts layout where I add all contact information in detail.
                • I add tasks with the help of add task button which takes me to a task details layout where I add the task detail.

Company

• Here I want to set a company with all its information.
                • I created a portal there from contacts table. so whenever one or multiple contact/s is/are added in the Project requirement  layout, I want contacts to be auto populated in the company in the company layout. Again when there is a new Project requirement for same company I want all the contacts added to be again populated in the company layout for the same company.

Sorry I am a newbie to this and I dont know about the To boxes.

Thanks,

Garry

• 5. Re: portals
                  philmodjunk

Table Occurrences (TO's) are what we call the "boxes" found in your relationships graph. When you select a "table" for a layout, you are actually selecting a TO and it forms the starting point for any data that you reference on that layout--such as by adding a portal. In Portal Setup, you select a TO for the portal in "show related records from". The relationship linking the Layout's TO to the Portal's TO then controls what records would appear in you portal if it is unfiltered. (Filter takes the records that would appear and possibly reduces those shown to just those that meet the filter's criteria).

So in Layout Setup | Show Records From, what TO have you selected?

In Portal Setup | Show Related Records From, what TO have you selected?

To learn more about table occurrences:

Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences?

1 of 1 people found this helpful