4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2017 4:55 AM by philmodjunk

Report Help

bmenendez

Good Afternoon,

I am in the process of trying to convert an old system and reporting into filemaker, and I've hit a brick wall that I can't seem to work around.

The attached report is from the old system, the book data portion i have in the header as that won't need to repeat BUT the PR Section and Marketing Tactics Section could have many repeating rows as they are from a child table, has anyone worked with reporting like this in Filemaker?

Thanks,

Brad

• 1. Re: Report Help
          philmodjunk

Looks like a typical summary report if each row under the "sub headers" represents a different record or a group of records.

Set up a list view layout based on the child table. Add a sub summary part "when sorted by" a field that will correctly group them as shown in your example. The sub summary part forms the "sub header" such as "PR-Media Interviews".

• 2. Re: Report Help
            techt

Is the book data and PR, Marketing records all in the same table? Since they are outputting the same columns, place all records in a single table with a sub-summary for each "type" and put the title in a title header. From the PDF, that look like what I would do. If there is a lot of other disparate data from each section that precludes it being combined, then perhaps an import to a new table for the purposes of reporting.

HTH

• 3. Re: Report Help
              bmenendez

Thanks for the replies, those records are in different tables that have a relationship (The PR and Tactics data) so it would be a report with two children attached to it.

Thanks,

Brad

• 4. Re: Report Help
                philmodjunk

Then you would need a portal for each. This is not ideal if you need to print or save as PDF.