7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2017 11:51 AM by greatgrey

Filemaker 13 Adv stuck!

pbedouk

Hi

I was working on my solution editing and running a script, when Filemaker Adv V13.0v9 stopped being able to run scripts. Clicking any button does not launch the associated script, and a second click just beeps. I tried recovering the file, and there were errors, but the recovered file doesn't work either.  Here are some behaviors:

Button click, nothing happens. Then opening script debugger will run the script. The script steps are not displayed in the debugger. Further button clicks do not start the script. Stop the debugger, restart the debugger and the script runs. Launching a script from the Manage Script window has same behavior.

Show/Hide the toolbar via opt-cmd-S also causes the script to run.

The buttons on the toolbar are all greyed out and won't work.

Other solutions have the same problem.

HOWEVER ... everything started working again after stopping and restarting Filemaker.

Peter.

• 1. Re: Filemaker 13 Adv stuck!
          siplus

Similar things can happen if you have a ontimer script running.

• 2. Re: Filemaker 13 Adv stuck!
            pbedouk

Thanks ... no ontimer script steps in the solution anywhere.

• 3. Re: Filemaker 13 Adv stuck!
              philmodjunk

Button click, nothing happens. Then opening script debugger will run the script. The script steps are not displayed in the debugger.

Sounds like your script is running, just not doing what you want it to. Perhaps the script is in an infinite loop. This can happen in more than one way.

Does your mouse cursor change after you click the button? On a mac, click the button and then press command-period. On a windows machine, try pressing the esc button. These key combinations will cancel a running script if the Allow User Abort script step has not been used to prevent this keyboard short cut from halting the script.

• 4. Re: Filemaker 13 Adv stuck!
                pbedouk

Thanks ... since it is not happening any more I can't try the keyboard shortcut, or do any more debugging.   I didn't notice if the cursor changed after clicking.

However, why would Filemaker have the same issue on a different file from the one I was testing? Wouldn't that point to something awry inside filemaker as opposed to in my solution?  Restarting filemaker resolved the issue in both solutions.

• 5. Re: Filemaker 13 Adv stuck!
                  philmodjunk

Restarting FileMaker kills off any infinitely looping or paused script.

You could easily have something different in terms of layout focus or data that results in an infinite loop (or paused script) in one case and not the other.

• 6. Re: Filemaker 13 Adv stuck!
                    gdurniak

Unfortunately, unless the problem is easily "repeatable", FileMaker will be unable to help ( even if reported as a bug )

In the mean time, since you say Recover did find "problems",  it would pay to look into that ( even if unrelated ), and possibly resolve them

greg

> since it is not happening any more I can't try the keyboard shortcut, or do any more debugging.

However, why would Filemaker have the same issue on a different file from the one I was testing? Wouldn't that point to something awry inside filemaker as opposed to in my solution?

Restarting filemaker resolved the issue in both solutions.

• 7. Re: Filemaker 13 Adv stuck!
                      greatgrey

It could be any of several problems that may not have anything to do with FM. i.e. some other program mess up some memory FM was using, the swap file got messed up, a bad memory cell, a power glitch, etc.