8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2017 7:02 PM by trilogy1000

I'm still looking for help moving my database to a MySQL server.

colbarry

I need to be able to upload and download my information to a MySQL server/database for Internet access by association members.  They will only be viewing data and not entering any. 

Also, additional information may eventually be added at the MySQL end in which case, I'll need to be able to download back to my FMPro database for some printing tasks such as membership cards, etc.

• 1. Re: I'm still looking for help moving my database to a MySQL server.
          philmodjunk

Two concepts ODBC and ESS. Look them up and see if they are an option for you. Rather than moving the data back and forth, you may be able to just leave the data in SQL and use FileMaker as the front end.

• 2. Re: I'm still looking for help moving my database to a MySQL server.
            Tom_Droz

ColBarry

I have a several filemaker databases on a server.  Every hour on the hour, a script runs that gathers records that meet a criteria and then gathers various fields of those records.

When the script is done collecting the data it then erase the old data in MySQL and replaces it with the new.

The MySQL data is used to run various websites.

The scripts are bat file scripts.

Tom

• 3. Re: I'm still looking for help moving my database to a MySQL server.
              colbarry

Thanks for getting back,

I am not familiar with MySQL at all.

Currently, I'm simply storing data and now someone else wants to move this to the web.

I currently run FMPro 13 and the someone else doesn't like any of the data exports I have sent him.

Will upgrading to FMPro 15 help or is the issue more complex.

Any how-to's you can direct me to would be helpful.

Thanks again.

• 4. Re: I'm still looking for help moving my database to a MySQL server.
                colbarry

I'm Mac based and the guy wanting this moved is PC and that could be a part of the problem.

I am not familiar at all with MySQL but the guy who is running our website is attempting to set this up.  He thinks that all the data exports I have sent him will not work for this transfer.

I need to know the how-to part of this issue.

Do I need to upgrade to FMPro 15 or will my version 13 handle this work?

I used to use Web Companion to take my databases to a custom web page many versions back but today I'm simply storing data for my organization and we currently have no web connection.

Is there a plug-in that allows communication between FMPro and MySQL?

Is there a particular file type that I need to get this information into so that he can upload it to MySQL?

Barry

If what you have done yesterday still looks big to you, you haven't done much today. ” 

-----Original Message-----
                To: Barry Stebbins <colbarry@aol.com>
                Sent: Thu, Mar 9, 2017 6:32 pm
                Subject: Re: [Discussions] - I'm still looking for help moving my database to a MySQL server.

I'm still looking for help moving my database to a MySQL server.

reply from Tom_Droz in Discussions - View the full discussion

ColBarry

I have a several filemaker databases on a server.  Every hour on the hour, a script runs that gathers records that meet a criteria and then gathers various fields of those records.

When the script is done collecting the data it then erase the old data in MySQL and replaces it with the new.

The MySQL data is used to run various websites.

The scripts are bat file scripts.

Tom

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on FileMaker Community
                Start a new discussion in Discussions by email or at FileMaker Community
                Following I'm still looking for help moving my database to a MySQL server. in these streams: Inbox
                • 5. Re: I'm still looking for help moving my database to a MySQL server.
                  beverly

an upgrade to any database is not the correct answer. However, you may be able to give better data. Ask the person WHAT they want. I may use temporary tables for this kind of data exchange. Often you need to combine, take apart, format or other manipulation, but once set up data exchange can be 'automated'.

using FM as a front-end to someone else's MySQL is also not the answer. the structure of their data may be prohibitive for you to connect with ODBC/JDBC (Import and Execute SQL script steps) or ESS. A web developer worth their salt can provide YOU with an interface to exchange data. You may not have a choice, but be wary of what they can and cannot do.

beverly

* web maven since Netscape 1.1

* SQL dba (MySQL & MS SQL)

* FileMaker since it was on a floppy disk for Mac

• 6. Re: I'm still looking for help moving my database to a MySQL server.
                    Jason Wood

If you can get access credentials to the MySQL database with read/write privileges, the MySQL database can be added to your FileMaker solution as an external data source. This is known as ESS and I'd say this is the easiest way to do what you want (rather than having to export files and then have to upload them to some web service that processes them into the MySQL database).

After you add the MySQL database as an external data source, you can add the MySQL tables to your relationship graph and you can use them in mostly the same way as if they were normal FileMaker tables. For example, you could navigate to a layout based on the shadow table, then import records from one of your FileMaker tables, or use a more sophisticated script to synchronize data between the two tables.

I have a similar situation, where my web site uses a MySQL database, and the data is synchronized from FileMaker every 5 minutes using a scheduled script on FileMaker Server.

Note: if you're on a Mac, you'll need to purchase an ODBC driver from Actual Technologies to connect to MySQL.

• 7. Re: I'm still looking for help moving my database to a MySQL server.
                      Tom_Droz

colbarry

I use to have the data on the websites be live with my Filemaker database.  I learned that performance suffered greatly for my situation.

So the idea of exporting it periodically, then importing that data in to MySQL worked much better for me.

I have images complete separate for the website.   They reside in a folder on the website and there is a reference to the images in the FileMaker data.

I hope that pushes you in a good direction.

Tom

• 8. Re: I'm still looking for help moving my database to a MySQL server.
                        trilogy1000

We used to do this way back in FMP 5 when we wanted to web publish stories. We would automate a dump of data to a text file and use Load Data Infile (MySQL :: MySQL 5.7 Reference Manual :: 14.2.6 LOAD DATA INFILE Syntax ) to bring it into MySQL. We could either append data or replace the entire data set.

The second part concerns me more - having updates from MySQL pushed back to FMP. I've not worked with FMP via ODBC but I imagine that may work.

What I have done in the past is written a utility app and a bunch of scripts which can talk to FMP via Applescript and talk to MySQL natively. This way I had total control of how, where and when the data moved. I could also set timers in the app for regular transfers. In fact we used this extensively when we moved from our old FMP system to our MySQL based system. People could keep working in FMP and it was updating MySQL at the same time with the users completely oblivious to it. When the time came to switch totally to MySQL we didn't have to move anything - it was already current. Of course this does rely on the ability to write Applescripts and a conduit app of some sort.