1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2017 12:50 PM by Jaymo

PHP Web Site

Jaymo

Need to replace my web server. Right now it is an old Mac OSX server (pizza box). Looking for options. I'm going to list some below but am open to anything. Please let me know if anyone has experience with these setups or a different one.

1) Co-located Mac Mini running Mac OS Server software. Does FileMaker Server 15 support this version of the Mac OS? I need email services and support for multiple IP Addresses at the minimum. It used to say it supported the server version of the Mac OS but no it is omitted. My feeling is it isn't supported.

2) Use third party hosting so I can reference the database remotely from a standard service that can provide web, email and other services for me.

3) I know FileMaker Cloud doesn't support PHP but can I host my databases there and remotely gather the information from a remote web site?

4) Getting business service at my house. Any experience with throughput necessary to run a web site. I have 75/75 Mbps. I have three web sites that get light traffic.

Thanks for any advice you guys have!

BTW, Windows is not an answer for me. I bleed rainbow colors.

• 1. Re: PHP Web Site
          BeatriceBeaubien

Hi Jaymo,

Nice to see you participating a lot in the FileMaker Community.

To speak to your points 1 and 2:

John May (PointInSpace) is an experienced FIleMaker Server/Mac OS professional and he hasn't run into problems with Mac OS X Server. You can look up the threads where he has contributed this info. Here are a couple:

https://community.filemaker.com/ideas/2147#comment-22028

https://community.filemaker.com/ideas/2147#comment-18388

Beyond that, the only suggestion I have is trying out John's trial period to see if his remote hosting might work, while you investigate your options (although I'm not sure about Point in Space's web and mail offerings).

Thinking about point 4:

If I was considering this, the attraction of an experienced remote hosting service would be their assiduous backup and recovery practices. For me to rapidly recover business-critical servers from my self-hosted boxes is not something I would look forward to.

(I had to move all my Mac FMS implementations to Windows Servers a few years ago, so my hands-on experience with FMS on Macs is outdated.)

I hope this is helpful.

All the best,

Beatrice Beaubien

On Mar 9, 2017, at 16:05, Jaymo <noreply@filemaker.com> wrote

PHP Web Site

created by Jaymo in Discussions - View the full discussion

Need to replace my web server. Right now it is an old Mac OSX server (pizza box). Looking for options. I'm going to list some below but am open to anything. Please let me know if anyone has experience with these setups or a different one.

1) Co-located Mac Mini running Mac OS Server software. Does FileMaker Server 15 support this version of the Mac OS? I need email services and support for multiple IP Addresses at the minimum. It used to say it supported the server version of the Mac OS but no it is omitted. My feeling is it isn't supported.

2) Use third party hosting so I can reference the database remotely from a standard service that can provide web, email and other services for me.

3) I know FileMaker Cloud doesn't support PHP but can I host my databases there and remotely gather the information from a remote web site?

4) Getting business service at my house. Any experience with throughput necessary to run a web site. I have 75/75 Mbps. I have three web sites that get light traffic.

Thanks for any advice you guys have!

BTW, Windows is not an answer for me. I bleed rainbow colors.

>

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PHP Web Site
            beverly

Yes! there are plans that are FileMaker + (MySQL, web, email, etc.) I have several clients that use Point in Space. Good and speedy service when needed!

beverly

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: PHP Web Site
              Jason Wood

For point 3, since FileMaker cloud does not support the PHP API or XML, there isn't really any way to offer up your data to a remote client that isn't FileMaker. However, I believe you can install your own copy of FileMaker Server on a Windows AWS instance and then you have the benefits of Amazon web services without these limitations in FileMaker Cloud.

• 4. Re: PHP Web Site
                CarlSchwarz

Three websites with light traffic is not very demanding!  You don't need great hardware to run your service, just reliable hardware.

Based on your requirements I would recommend using a 3rd party host like pointinspace ( if it has to be OSX ).

Unless you want to do it for fun I would not recommend running it from your home.  To do it from home you would really want

- Automatic backup internet (router with 3G failover for example)

- Backup power supply

- Backup server hardware with some way to quickly swap your hosting between servers.

- Network QoS for the server

And even if you do all that you are still giving second best service compared to a datacentre with multiple fibre channels, power, etc.

It has been a couple of years since I ran FMServer on OSX Server, but I would recommend OSX over OSX Server any day.  The FileMaker Server 15 specifications don't list OSX server in the list of OS's FileMaker Server 15 Technical Specifications | FileMaker     I think it is easy to make OSX Server work if you want OSX Server, there used to be some issues with OSX Servers web server with FMS.

• 5. Re: PHP Web Site
                  PointInSpace

OS X Server works fine with FileMaker Server if you install OS X Server first.  Also, note that OS X Server is not a separate operating system from OS X, which is why FileMaker doesn't specifically mention support of it either way.  OS X Server tunes the system in many ways to perform better than plain OS X and includes monitoring tools that are indispensable.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: PHP Web Site
                    CarlSchwarz

That makes sense, thanks for the OSX Server tip!

• 7. Re: PHP Web Site
                      Mike Duncan

I would seriously consider a separate machine for doing any CWP, and treat FileMaker Server as a black box that you dedicate at least a server to. Then you just point your php script to the DNS entry for your FM Server's WPE. That allows you to update the version of PHP on your web server without the reliance on FM's version as well.

Linux is great for this, but if your comfort zone is OS X, that's ok as well, then you can take advantage of OS X server.app's support for web serving without conflicting with FMS's apache.

Mike

• 8. Re: PHP Web Site
                        beverly

plus, PLUS one on that. separation is what 'we' (ISPs) call:

single point of failure

that means, like MD says, if something changes in one place it does not take down everything!

beverly

• 9. Re: PHP Web Site
                          Jaymo

Thanks for all the recommendations. I'm leaning towards hosting third party and then using a standard web hosting provider to provide domain, IP and email services. I can write the PHP pages to access the remote databases at the FileMaker hosting service I choose. I talked ti Wim Decorte and he informed me that even accessing the FileMaker files remotely on the FileMaker cloud will not work. I've got a bit of time to mull this over so any more ideas are welcome. Thanks so much.

• 10. Re: PHP Web Site
                            Jaymo

I'll definitely take a look at your offerings before I make a decision.

I'm a little concerned since I talked to Rick Kalman and he says they don't support Mac OS Server. I believe you that it works but I'm going to stay away from this configuration since it's not supported my FMI.

• 11. Re: PHP Web Site
                              PointInSpace

This is how we configure our shared hosting acccounts - with separate FileMaker and web servers with up-to-date PHP installs on the web servers.  This can, of course, be done with a multi machine configuration using our virtual dedicated servers as well, and we can also update the PHP install on a one-machine configuration using OS X.

- John

• 12. Re: PHP Web Site
                                PointInSpace

I would seriously consider hosting all your services with one provider, otherwise you risk a whole bunch of finger pointing when something goes wrong.

- John

• 13. Re: PHP Web Site
                                  PointInSpace

Not sure why they don't support it as it's working fine on hundreds of virtual machines here running FileMaker Server.  You can always uninstall OS X Server easily if you need to prove to FileMaker support that it's not the cause of some issue (we've had to do this before, and it's never been the cause).

We can always configure a VM for you without it as well - definitely not a requirement.

- John

• 14. Re: PHP Web Site
                                    Jaymo

I would but a lot of FileMaker hosting companies don't want the web pages on their site. I'm guessing you allow that option.

1 2 Previous Next