8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2017 5:21 AM by MarkEaston_1

External Container storage - virtual server

MarkEaston_1

Let me set the scene;

I am hosting FM15 on a Virtual Server running Windows 2012R2.

All Databases are running fine. Client is happy.

I have installed a Digicert SSL so all good so far.

I have set my daily backups to a Folder on the virtual server (outside the Filemaker Server folder) which I have FTP access to and I can download the backups easily.

Containers:

I want to to store these externally in the FTP folder as well.

I realise you cannot update the 'Manage Containers' paths when the database is on stream and on the FM15 server. The 'new' button is greyed out.

In testing on my development computer I can set the 'Manage Containers' path but it actually creates the folders I think I'm telling it save conatiner in.

EG: If I set say 'Mark1-1tb/ftp/containers/' instead of saving conatiners in that location Filemaker creates a new folder called 'Mark1-1tb/ftp/containers/'. Now, this is quite cute and I see that would be useful for naming folders using a calculation BUT how do stop it trying to actually create my path anew?

EG: on the Virtual server I tried to set in 'Manage Containers' this path C:/ftp/containers - instead it set a folder called 'c' in the RC data folder in the actual Filemaker server folder. (Oh by the way filewin:/C:/ etc etc doesn't work as Filemaker says something like 'platform syntax error').

So finally the question:

Can I set a path to the FTP folder I want to which is on the server but OUTSIDE the actual Filemaker server folder? I can with Daily backups so why not the container storage?

I am fairly technical but any simplicity in reply would be gratefully received!

• 1. Re: External Container storage - virtual server
          wimdecorte

You can, it's called 'additional folder' in the FMS admin console.  Caveat is that the FM file has to live in the additional folder and then you have the option to specify another RC data folder.

Question is though: why do you want/need FTP access to those directly?  If it is for backup reasons then the RC data is already included in the backups...

There is a risk when touching live files, including live RC files so you normally would NOT want to do any kind of outside access available there.

• 2. Re: External Container storage - virtual server
            philmodjunk

To add to Wim's comments:

The safest way to move FileMaker Backups--including these files to a offsite location is to "back up the backups". You set up a system script or third part back up software to move a set of files created by the server's backup to an offsite location.

• 3. Re: External Container storage - virtual server
              MarkEaston_1

Thanks for that info.

The reason I need to have the backups and the containers in a separate folder outside the FM server folder is that this folder will be a Local Dropbox folder and is linked to the clients Dropbox system. That way the client can always access their backups and container images if need be. I don't want them to really have access to the whole FM server folder system.

Can i take it from what you say that:

i) If I move the actual Database to a new folder (using the Add folder in FM server) will this create an RC Data folder there also?

ii) And does this mean that container images can ONLY be stored in a related RC data folder?

Many thanks.

• 4. Re: External Container storage - virtual server
                MarkEaston_1

Thanks Phil

Well as I mentioned above I need the backups to go to a Local Dropbox folder shared with the Client's main Dropbox system so my client can archive the backups themselves. I am always about cutting down my administration time with clients and getting them to do as much as poss. Saves them money and me the headaches.

• 5. Re: External Container storage - virtual server
                  wimdecorte

MarkEaston_1 wrote:

Thanks for that info.

The reason I need to have the backups and the containers in a separate folder outside the FM server folder is that this folder will be a Local Dropbox folder and is linked to the clients Dropbox system.

Confused; from your original description it sounded like you wanted to give FTP access to the live RC data:

Containers:

I want to to store these externally in the FTP folder as well.

I realise you cannot update the 'Manage Containers' paths when the database is on stream and on the FM15 server. The 'new' button is greyed out.

Giving non-FM access directly to the live RC data is not a good idea and certainly not through dropbox.

If you want to give users access to their backups then uploading them to AWS S3 is easier/safer IMHO.  S3 comes with all the tools to run in an automated fashion on a server.  Dropbox does not, dropbox is very much user-centric.

• 6. Re: External Container storage - virtual server
                    MarkEaston_1

Hi wimdecorte

I have sorted the Backups nicely now. I set the path for Backups to the Dropbox folder which is shared with my Client. They now get scheduled backups via this sytem.

BUT on Containers: I think you are saying that Container storage (even if it is set to External) must be within a folder in the RC Data folder. If that's the case then I certainly wouldn't put the the database and RC Data folder in the Dropbox.

I was hoping I could set a path for Container external storage to the Dropbox folder which would be outside the main FM Server folders.

Many thanks.

• 7. Re: External Container storage - virtual server
                      wimdecorte

MarkEaston_1 wrote:

Hi wimdecorte

I have sorted the Backups nicely now. I set the path for Backups to the Dropbox folder which is shared with my Client. They now get scheduled backups via this sytem.

Not a good idea.  FMS need exclusive access to its backup folders while backups are running and you can't guarantee that with Dropbox.  If the client changes something in the folder on their end, Dropbox may try to sync/write to the folder on the FMS side at the same time that FMS tries to write.  That may lead to incomplete or failed backups.

Better to let FMS backup to a folder it owns and then use OS-level scripting to copy to dropbox at a time that you know that FMS is done with tis backup folder.

MarkEaston_1 wrote:

I was hoping I could set a path for Container external storage to the Dropbox folder which would be outside the main FM Server folders.

No.  There are few things as critical to a stable FMS deployment and to the solution's data integrity than: let NOTHING but FM access its own files and folders.  Remote Container data is live FM data and should be under the exclusive control of FMS.  Putting live files in a dropbox folder gives control to Dropbox and sooner or later FMS and Dropbox will conflict.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: External Container storage - virtual server
                        MarkEaston_1

Ah. Thanks. That is good advice. I will rework the Dropbox for backups as you suggest.

Ok Containers will stay fully managed by FMS and no Dropbox link.

Many thanks - that has helped me get it straight in my head.

All the best.