2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2017 4:00 PM by user19752

ODBC

christian.fabbro@veolia.com

Good morning

I have a problem with "Managing External Data Sources" in FileMaker.

I need to interface db FM with a db in SQL Server. I created the DSN and also the external data source in FM recalling the DSN created.

At the time of creating the data in FM I specified the following parameters:

1. Type: ODBC

2. DSN: one created in Windows (only display those global)

3. Authentication: "Specify user name and password" specifying user name ("sa") and password ("xyz") of a general user created in SQL Server.

This means that all users who use FM and write in SQL Server, use the same user ("sa") specified in point 3.

In the SQL Server Log, the operations execute are registered with user "sa".

In addition to the account "sa", in "sql server", each user has their own login.

Is it possible in "Manage external data sources", making user name and password variable and not fixed ("sa")?

Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: ODBC
          mikebeargie

DSNs are hard coded, so you would have to setup a local DSN on each machine with that username and password for each user instead of your "sa" user account. You can also remove the user/password from the DSN as well, which will force it to be connected via the credentials stored in the filemaker external data source.

In filemaker, the username and password fields for connecting to external data sources are calculations, so you could do a calculation there like:

Case(

Get(AccountName) = "User1" ; "User1 SQL account" ;

Get(AccountName) = "User2" ; "User2 SQL account" ;

etc... ;

"sa"

)

What might be a better idea would be just adding columns to the SQL tables for creation/modification user, and setting those from filemaker. Rather than relying on the SQL log.

• 2. Re: ODBC
            user19752

There was single sign on configuration

Enabling ODBC data source single sign-on (Windows only)

This is help for FM12, I don't know it works on latest FM / SQL Server.