13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2017 12:02 PM by wimdecorte

How to identify FLT Pro Clients

Paul Jansen

I have a session logging script module which records whether a session is Go, Pro, Pro Advanced or Web Direct. 

My problem is that there appears to be no way of distinguishing between FLT Pro clients that use up a server connection and VLA or "box product" Pro that do not.

get(applicationversion) returns "Pro 15.0.3" for the FLT licensed Pro which is not at all helpful

Can anyone suggest how this might be achieved. (hopefully I have just missed spotting a function that will give me the information I need )

Thanks

• 1. Re: How to identify FLT Pro Clients
          wimdecorte

I don't think you can... have you check the access.log?  Not that I think there is any more info in there on that but I haven't checked.

If you are after a warning when you come close to the max, There is a setting in FMS that will write a warning when you hit 80%.  On the "Connections" tab.

• 2. Re: How to identify FLT Pro Clients
            Paul Jansen

Wim,

I was hoping to log usage patterns by connection method, but as I suspected the addition of the FLT version of FileMaker Pro makes this impossible.

I am aware of the access log, but I really wanted to collect this information as part of the session logging functionality.

Thanks for your input.

I have already put a suggestion in for get(applicationversion) to distinguish between  FLT Pro and normal Pro

• 3. Re: How to identify FLT Pro Clients
              monkeybreadsoftware

Have you tried looking on the FM App itself?

e.g. the cloud one may be different to regular one by some little thing?

I would check if the file size differs for example.

• 4. Re: How to identify FLT Pro Clients
                taylorsharpe

Really good question, Paul.  And since FM seems to want to push FLT's and we're supposed to try to keep the licensing current and correct, it sure would be helpful to database administrators to be able to more effectively monitor the type of licensing of the clients connecting to FileMaker.  At least if they want us to do a good job of making sure licensing is being implemented correctly. 

There should be a function such as Get ( LicenseType )

• 5. Re: How to identify FLT Pro Clients
                  Paul Jansen

Christian,

I was looking for something that could be accessed using scripting.

Before FLT added Pro to the Connections we could distinguish; Go and Web Direct have different Application versions, but both use connections and Pro and Pro advanced were also distinguishable.

Now We can't tell how many Pro are using Connection licences and how many are conventionally licensed.

Cheers

• 6. Re: How to identify FLT Pro Clients
                    philmodjunk

Hmm,  I would think that the license type will be specific to the device used to log in wouldn't it? Or possibly by the user's account?

If so, a method that would be laborious in initial set up but maybe workable would be to build a table of the different persistent ID's or possibly account names and use a field to identify each record as to license type. You can then identify either the device or the device when they first access the file and log that fact.

• 7. Re: How to identify FLT Pro Clients
                      Paul Jansen

Whilst possible, this approach requires knowledge of which type of licence has been used to install FileMaker Pro.

There is currently no problem identifying Go, Web direct or Pro Advanced and determining whether a concurrent or FLT connection is in use.  The problem is with FLT  and concurrent FileMaker Pro connections.  It would be necessary to maintain a record of every installation and which type of Pro install it is - most ordinary users will not even realise there is a difference (until they get refused due to licences being all used up)

Under FLT or concurrent connections a single user may use all 3 different types of connection so using account name is not helpful in determining the type of connection.

The 80% warning it's fine for warning you that you need to buy more licenses but will not tell you if you are only peaking at 10 out of your 20 concurrent connections.

• 8. Re: How to identify FLT Pro Clients
                        wimdecorte

Paul Jansen wrote:

The 80% warning it's fine for warning you that you need to buy more licenses but will not tell you if you are only peaking at 10 out of your 20 concurrent connections.

I'm not sure I follow this...

• 9. Re: How to identify FLT Pro Clients
                          jormond

So you are trying to see if you need FEWER connections?

• 10. Re: How to identify FLT Pro Clients
                            Paul Jansen

I want to keep track of many things

1. how many of each type of connection are being used over time
                            2. how long the sessions are for each client type
                            3. how many connections do I need (especially pertinent with the higher pricing of concurrent connections)
                            4. what are the busy times of day for each client type*
                            5. etc

* 4. is interesting as webdirect clients put a higher load on the server but if most of these connections are when there is a lot of other activity, it would be good to know this.

I was hoping to create a session management module that would allow me to get this kind of management information.

• 11. Re: How to identify FLT Pro Clients
                              wimdecorte

A lot of this you can get from parsing the Access.log without having to add code to your modules and files.   The access log shows when a user connected and disconnected, when & what files they opened and closed...

• 12. Re: How to identify FLT Pro Clients
                                Paul Jansen

I am aware of this, but it does not really tell me much more than I can get by scripting.

Also, and specifically, this still does not  tell me if FileMaker Pro is using a User Connection (FLT or concurrent)  which is the reason I started this thread!

• 13. Re: How to identify FLT Pro Clients
                                  wimdecorte

Paul Jansen wrote:

I am aware of this, but it does not really tell me much more than I can get by scripting.

No, but it would be more portable since you wouldn't have to add code to your files to capture what is already getting captured...