7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2017 5:03 AM by Markus Schneider

Is FMGO 15 stable enough to use for real work?

user24799

After giving up on earlier releases of FMGO because of performance and interface issues I decided to finally give it another try. With the release of FIleMaker 16 just around the corner I had hoped that FMGO 15 would be mature and stable. Yet...right out of the gate one my very first layout I ran into a bug that causes pinned items to slide off of the layout when it contains a top navigation part. ( A bug that was reported a year ago and still has not been fixed.)

Now I am experiencing an issue with it unexpectedly quitting when I change the orientation of my iPhone. It does not quit every time but it happens often enough that there definitely seems to be some relationship between the rotation and it quitting.

What concerns me is that I am have these problems on a very basic test solution that does not have any content and only a couple of very basic scripts.

What's your experience with FMGO 15?

• 1. Re: Is FMGO 15 stable enough to use for real work?
          Benjamin Fehr

I started to build iOS GUI with first FMGo release at a time, my customers had to pay $40.- (iPad) or $20.- (iPhone) for FMGo. I remember lot of Bugs, very slow performance and terrible rendering issues.

Today, most of the Bugs are resolved and I see a great performance improve with FMGo15.

I can't replicate any issue with orientation-change but have orientation locked anyway.

Unfortunately, FMI will delete OrientationLock Function with next FMGo Release!

I can recommend FMGo especially as a client with a PC/Mac FMPro Host.

For iPhone/iPad only solutions, I still miss some solid data-backup solutions.

For your change-orientation bug, I like to encourage you to send this in Report a Product Issue for further investigation.

• 2. Re: Is FMGO 15 stable enough to use for real work?
            Markus Schneider

we got a heavily used FMGo application for reporting, to-do lists, calculation, etc. That app runs locally on iPads. We got a server cousain for that app, that gets data via one-way sync and also full backups via container fields

- at the moment, that app is really stable (15.03)

- there are some memory issues, that could handeled by scripts

that said, under earlier versions of V14, FMGo was _not_ stable, lot of crashes, data lost! V14.03 solved that, but before of that patch, we were about to drop the whole thing

the memory issues under V15 are annoying, but could also be on Apple's side, not FileMaker. We are running iPad air2 and iPad pro's (9.7"). Under iOS9, the air2 was slow, the iPad4 was way too slow. After iOS9.3 (and iOS10), performance is much better - even with iPad4, we are able to use our app

You got to be pretty technical, these days... (Johnny Mnemonic)

iOS devices (especially iPads) are slower in performance than desktop units - even when benchmarks show better results... That means, that one needs to keep FMGo apps sleek, slim. Do not overload, kiss...

• 3. Re: Is FMGO 15 stable enough to use for real work?
              Benjamin Fehr

mschneider , you reported some FMGo issues related to the amount of RAM with the iOS device about a year ago. What is your conclusion OR what iOS-Devices with how much RAM would you see as minimum requirements for stable solutions?

• 4. Re: Is FMGO 15 stable enough to use for real work?
                Markus Schneider

have to revise that.

Due to a way too stressy time, I finally upgraded to iOS 10 last week.

Now, after writing the post above, I checked the Go app and realized that it was closed... After opening the app, I realized that the last changes were gone. I added travel time to an existing record and added a new record - both gone. Go did not crash as long I was using it yesterday. After finishing reporting, I switched to another app, reading articles.

The last thing I did yesterday in Go was checking the sum of the day - it showed the correct time, today not.

there was a meeting of FileMaker developers last thursday and one mentioned that FMGo sometimes will open an older version after quitting, something like messing up the temp file with the active one. Seems that I hit that...

)-:

(issue report filed in)

• 5. Re: Is FMGO 15 stable enough to use for real work?
                  Markus Schneider

that was according to Clay Meackels session at the FileMaker Konferenz, he mentioned problems of the iOS when an app wants more RAM that is built in. I was hoping that the pro devices will come with 4GB - but th 9.7" pro comes with 2, the same as the air2

• 6. Re: Is FMGO 15 stable enough to use for real work?
                    user24799

I have noticed that my very basic test file is often frozen when I return to it after it has been left open for an hour or more. The file is running on a server. Do you think this is related to a memory leak or is FileMaker Go just having trouble reconnecting to the remote server?

• 7. Re: Is FMGO 15 stable enough to use for real work?
                      Markus Schneider

no, not the same issue - when working on a server hosted solution, time-out might occur, network, etc

our file is local