6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2017 2:37 PM by tays01s

Customising value lists

tays01s

I would like some general pointers in resolving a problem. I have a solution with the following 1 to many relationships between tables:

Patient < Calc < Record < Products &

Customise < Calc.

On Customise there are various settings to change the value lists on Calc and Products. This allows the user to reduce over-long lists to reasonable length. The problem is that sometimes a user gets to Calc or Products and finds that the value they need is not there, so that have to delete the Calc record, go to Customise to choose an old or new record that does have the correct values. This is a hassle and a challenge to those unfamiliar with the software.

I should mention that Users are using a RunTime version that doesn't permit changes to the Customise record. This is to prevent them deleting values and so wreaking previously used value lists. A last thing is that Customise sets some of the Calc lists by an 'age threshold' and 'Product' value lists based on Region and Company as well as individual products.

1 potential solution I'd considered was to abandon having a separate Customise table and change the means of choosing from the value list to a combined button/drop-down/pop-up combination where you can begin typing to narrow the list / use as a pop-up so it's a complete list. To take account of setting Region/ Company to narrow the product list I'd thought to have a 'Customise layout', based on Calc table, with Calc::age_threshold and a Product portal for Region/Company settings.

Is the above a sound plan. Please let me know if I've missed details you need to comment.

• 1. Re: Customising value lists
          philmodjunk

It is impossible to tell what method is currently being used to customize your value lists. Thus, I cannot answer your specific question.

There are definitely, a number of ways that to set up a method that auto-completes or filters down as you type. This can also be done with a selection portal placed inside a popover that can be filtered/sorted in ways not always possible with a value list.

• 2. Re: Customising value lists
            tays01s

Thanks Phil, at the moment I'm just after general suggestions/ examples, not a specific answer.

To obviate using a Customise table on which Products are checked and the list then shown in a value list/ pop-up, I've tried using a pop-up (in a portal) using an fk field, with is value list based on the corresponding pk showing product. On top of this I have a drop-down value auto-complete list of products and an on-exit script setting the fk to the product pk. This works, but it's quite slow to react (long list I guess).

Are there any changes I might make to the above to improve speed? Also could you add a little detail to the suggestion: "...can also be done with a selection portal placed inside a popover that can be filtered/sorted..."

• 3. Re: Customising value lists
              philmodjunk

Please explain your customization process and purpose. I can't tell what you are currently doing and why.

• 4. Re: Customising value lists
                tays01s

Process: On the Customization layout there are some popovers containing 'checkbox set' fields used to filter products and a portal wherein products are selected/ deselected. This sets a list of products.

Purpose: The product list is what appears in the pop-up list within the Product portal on the User's main layout. Overall it is a way to reduce an unwieldy list down to one that the User regularly uses.

As mentioned, re. that last point, because the Customization needs to be set before using the list, the User sometimes they find they don't have a product they need. They would then have to delete that Product record, update the Customization record and generate a new Product record.

One other thought was to have a product list with a partition of recently used products at the top and the rest further down. That way, the User would have the convenience of recently used records always close to hand but also be able to choose from the full list. However, I've not thought through how to do this and, with a long product list, am worried that the constant re-calculating going on would slow the software down. I have already noticed that have a full list in a drop-down on top of a pop-up takes 1-2 seconds to set the product fk field.

• 5. Re: Customising value lists
                  philmodjunk

A general description doesn't work. I need details.

Are you selecting an individual product or groups of products when customizing? And HOW does that currently take place? Such a selection could be updating a field in the product record, creating a related record or updating a related record. Or you might be doing something that I haven't guessed.

And why would the user have delete a product record in order to change how it is customized?

• 6. Re: Customising value lists
                    tays01s

Fair enough re. details.

However, I think I've found a solution to 2 of my list problems. I have put a small popover button in the corner of the pop-up list. The popover contains a full list checkbox field and successfully updates my pop-up by triggering a set field (list) script.

I will have to ponder filtering further; I'll look at your Adventures 1 & 2 files first.