AnsweredAssumed Answered

Help creating temporary table

Question asked by DavidRegenthal on Mar 13, 2017
Latest reply on Mar 14, 2017 by philmodjunk

Like many people, it’s difficult for me when I have to expose my ignorance.  Permit me to apologize in advance of my question as I suspect the solution is probably pretty basic . . . but I just can’t get my head around it.  I would certainly appreciate anyone pointing me in the right direction, and thanks to all in advance of any knowledge.  Here’s my task:

I have a functioning database with 2000+ members.

There are multiple (16) units, (companies) that my members may have worked in over time.

Most members have only worked for one unit (company).

A fair number of members have worked in two units (companies).

A very small number of members have worked in three units (companies).

Nobody has worked in more than 3.

Each unit has a director.

The directors want an alpha listing of everyone who has worked in their unit (whether they are still in that unit or not).

So, I need to be able to publish a list for each of the 16 directors.

The fields I am concerned with are as follows:

srvUnit01

srvUnit02

srvUnit03

FirstName

LastName

It probably would have been smarter if I had a separate field for each of the 16 units but I didn’t do it that way . . . so each of the “srvUnitxx” contain the same possible unit ID’s in a dropdown.

What I’m trying to do (I think, unless there is a better way) is to figure out how to read my database into a temporary table three different times (one for each srvUnit) so that I will have everyone in and can then do a sort by srvUnit, then alpha by last then first name.

Gawd I hope this makes sense . . . you can see I’m not very good at this.

Can anyone provide a little guidance or advise if there is a toot anywhere than might be useful?

Outcomes