4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2017 7:36 AM by Jason Wood

Operate external devices from button on layout

kelkaconsulting@gmail.com

I'd like to be able to activate a relay via Bluetooth from a button on a layout.

Is this possible?

• 1. Re: Operate external devices from button on layout
          mikebeargie

The short answer is possibly, the long answer is definitely much more complicated.

Your first step is going to be figuring out the SDK that the device manufacturer provides with the specifications for activating the device from a remote machine. Assuming it's already paired and you just need to send a command, it may be relatively simple.

From FileMaker, you're almost certainly looking at using a plugin (EG ScriptMaster to execute Java code), or using Insert From URL, Perform Applescript or Send Event to activate some other program on the system that will perform the device action for you.

So yes, it should be possible, but you're more than likely going to have to develop the entire thing yourself.

There are existing plugins for some other connection technologies, like Serial Port and USB (24U is the company that makes those plugins) if there is an alternate, wired option.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Operate external devices from button on layout
            kelkaconsulting@gmail.com

Hi Mike,

Thanks heaps for the detailed response.

It appears that android can do it, but I don't want to move from FM.

Might do some playing around.

Thanks again.

Regards

Kris

Sent from my iPhone

• 3. Re: Operate external devices from button on layout
              clind

While I'm not actually answering your question, I will just mention this as a possible solution to your problem or similar problems:

https://www.sainsmart.com/sainsmart-rj45-tcp-ip-remote-controller-board-with-8-channels-relay-integrated.html

This relay has an integrated webserver and can be triggered simply by sending a webviewer to a certain address. Very easy to integrate with a FileMaker solution on any device.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Operate external devices from button on layout
                Jason Wood

There are existing plugins for some other connection technologies, like Serial Port and USB (24U is the company that makes those plugins) if there is an alternate, wired option.

Note: a bluetooth device can be set up as a serial port. Usually when you pair a device like this, you'll see a message that says "There were no supported services found on your device.". When you click continue, you have the option to map a COM port to it. Then any application (or FileMaker plug-in) that talks to Serial ports will see this. These instructions apply to Mac - Windows would likely work in a similar way.

Once you've paired the bluetooth device and set up a serial port, download ZTerm to experiment with connecting and sending/receiving data, and once you've figured it out, there are a variety of ways to integrate with FileMaker, including using plug-ins. AppleScript could probably do it with a "do shell script" command.

1 of 1 people found this helpful