bpanhuyzen

Rant: I force-quit FileMaker more than any other app

Discussion created by bpanhuyzen on Mar 14, 2017
Latest reply on Mar 14, 2017 by bpanhuyzen

Between lost connection dialogues that disappear and cannot be cleared, to crazy long searches that cannot be cancelled (sometimes due to a slow or bad relationship), I find myself force-quitting FileMaker more than any other app (and I use some Microsoft programs, so that's saying something).

Right now on my Mac, for example, I have FMPA 15.03 open; it was connected to a remote solution when my computer went to sleep. I know there is a dialogue box somewhere telling me that the connection has been lost, do I want to "close the file or reconnect," but it's nowhere to be found. All I get is a recalcitrant "boop" noise whenever I click anywhere on the screen or hit a key. I can use Mission Control to show all the application windows, but the one I need is not one of them.

Luckily I don't have a local solution open right now, so I won't potentially corrupt something by the force-quit, but this isn't always the case.

There are two other issues when I force-quit:

1. the saved calcs in the Data Viewer will likely all be lost; I have several, like one that tells me the current window's size and position, I am consistently recreating due to this situation
  2. all my Inspector palettes, on my second monitor, will relocate to random places on my primary monitor, when I get back in; FM is incapable of remembering and restoring the location of the Inspector palettes on a second display (even though FM is essentially an Apple product, and is supposed to be compliant).

Other than a reassurance that FileMaker understands these issues and are working on them, I'm not soliciting advice. Sometimes it helps just to vent.

Outcomes