1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2017 11:07 AM by planteg

Why does my FM Cloud SSL Certificate make no sense

J_File

Hi,

So I have taken the plunge with FM Cloud to have play around before hopefully hosting my solution on it. I am in the UK, so selected the Ireland data centre.

First problems encountered were during registration (I used Safari for the whole process) of AWS. Each part of the process refused to accept my entries. If it was a 6 part registration process, after each part, I clicked the "advance" button at the end of each form, but it did nothing. I had to log out and back in again - the info had been accepted. Had to do that 5 times at the end of each section! Weird.

My next problem is that free 90 day SSL certificate which was assigned bears no resemblance to my actual address. The SSL certificate is a massive long list of numbers and letters and shows up as having a host name mismatch. I have changed a few of the letters / numbers but in essence looks like this:

fc-6jko0p-22170219-043529.fmi.filemaker-cloud.com

Although I have managed to upload an encrypted .fmp12 file, I can't see it when I try to access the host computer via FileMaker Pro advanced. I am convinced the SSL certificate mismatch has something to do with it. I think I need to somehow change the SSL certificate and get it to match my actual host name.

The final thing that is weird is that if I over-ride the fact the SSL certificate is wrong and get into the FileMaker Cloud Control Panel, using 2 different browsers give 2 different results.

Safari: I do not see the encrypted database that I uploaded, I don't see how much storage I have / how much is used and when I click into the "manage storage" menu, all of the storage upgrade options are listed as "NaN".

Firefox: I see my encrypted database that I uploaded, I see the amount of storage I have (40Gb total / 0.05Gb used) and when I click the "manage storage" menu, I see all the incremental storage upgrade options.

Has anyone else had these problems? I only registered for the "basic support" but am thinking of upgrading to the phone help support option to get this all sorted. Are FileMaker Technical Support themselves a good port of call for these problems do you think?

This was supposed to be nice and easy - far from it so far   .

James

• 1. Re: Why does my FM Cloud SSL Certificate make no sense
          PointInSpace

James -

We offer the full capabilities of FileMaker Server on our shared hosting accounts and virtual dedicated servers, unlike the FileMaker Cloud offering.  We provide full management and support with all of our services.  Contact me privately if you want more information.

- John

• 2. Re: Why does my FM Cloud SSL Certificate make no sense
            J_File

Thanks John, but I want to get FM Cloud running!

I have done a bit more work on this and I realise that the long winded host name is actually the root directory. If I now use this instead of the shorter version, the certificate matches and everything comes up as expected on Safari, and no mismatch is reported on either Safari or Firefox.

I do realise, that I am not going to be able to use the filmmaker domain past the 90 days, so have to work out how to get the subdomain for my already registered domain sorted.

I am still unable to see the file that is sitting on the FM Cloud instance, although I have not actually assigned user account to the 5 licences that I purchased. I am sure that has got something to do with it! I will call FileMaker in the morning.

James

• 3. Re: Why does my FM Cloud SSL Certificate make no sense
              wimdecorte

J_File wrote:

I am still unable to see the file that is sitting on the FM Cloud instance, although I have not actually assigned user account to the 5 licences that I purchased.

That's not how it works with those FLT licenses.   You don't assign user accounts to the # of licenses.  FMS knows how licenses you have and will block any 6th user from connecting, regardless of their account.

So for instance one user can log in from 5 different devices with the same account and eat up all 5 available licenses.

When you set up your FM Cloud instance did you get to pick a name for it?  And if so can you connect using FMP using that name?

• 4. Re: Why does my FM Cloud SSL Certificate make no sense
                CarlSchwarz

J_File wrote:

I am still unable to see the file that is sitting on the FM Cloud instance.

James

Did you turn on FileMaker sharing before uploading your database to FMCloud?

Are FileMaker Technical Support themselves a good port of call for these problems do you think?

FileMaker technical support is good.  In my experience they will keep going until they solve your problem!

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Why does my FM Cloud SSL Certificate make no sense
                  anand_vaghela

My next problem is that free 90 day SSL certificate which was assigned bears no resemblance to my actual address. The SSL certificate is a massive long list of numbers and letters and shows up as having a host name mismatch. I have changed a few of the letters / numbers but in essence looks like this:

fc-6jko0p-22170219-043529.fmi.filemaker-cloud.com

You've been issued a temporary hostname by the certificate vendor.  It could be because you've picked a hostname that requires domain verification, for example, if you picked abchsbcabc, because you have "hsbc" in the name they are verifying on their side.  What hostname did you select? 

• 6. Re: Why does my FM Cloud SSL Certificate make no sense
                    J_File

Hi Anand,

I appreciate the reply - I watched your video to set the whole thing up. It was really useful, so thanks for that!!

Good point, the name I used that the word "DataBank" in it - so the fact it has "Bank" in may be a cause for concern? I had this when registering my company name at Companies House in the UK.

James

• 7. Re: Why does my FM Cloud SSL Certificate make no sense
                      J_File

Hi Wim,

What you are describing on the licences is what I would refer to as concurrent user licences. I thought that FileMaker Teams revolved around a user and not a concurrent connection. Am I incorrect in my thinking on that?

James

• 8. Re: Why does my FM Cloud SSL Certificate make no sense
                        J_File

Hi,

Great Carl. That has fixed it. I got there in the end and can access the file OK. Just need to sort the SSL and sub domain and then I am done. ... gulp ... :-)

James

• 9. Re: Why does my FM Cloud SSL Certificate make no sense
                          wimdecorte

J_File wrote:

Hi Wim,

What you are describing on the licences is what I would refer to as concurrent user licences. I thought that FileMaker Teams revolved around a user and not a concurrent connection. Am I incorrect in my thinking on that?

James

Yes and no.  From a legal point of view with FLT you have to buy a license for every 'named user', for instance everyone in your workgroup or department or company.

However, FMS enforces the max license count on a concurrency basis.  If you have 5 licenses and 5 concurrent connections then a 6th won't be able to connect.  Even if those 5 concurrent connections are done with the same FM account.

There is no link between the license and a user account in FM.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Why does my FM Cloud SSL Certificate make no sense
                            planteg

Hi Wim,

However, FMS enforces the max license count on a concurrency basis.

This is not what FM Inc. says. On this page FileMaker Licensing for Teams FAQ | FileMaker , under What is FileMaker Licensing for teams ?, it is written that "Each user may connect to FileMaker Server with only one client at a time.". But that may not be what you get in reality. This is why a lot of people are so confused about FLT vs the old concurrent licensing system.

From a legal point of view with FLT you have to buy a license for every 'named user', for instance everyone in your workgroup or department or company.

I don't think that would stand legally. It's Ok to buy a license for every user of product such as MS Office, AutoCAD, etc., but buying a license for everyone in a company even if only 10 of them will run FileMaker ??? Here are the complete first two paragraphs on the page for the previous link:

FileMaker Licensing for Teams is a simple way for teams of 5 or more people to license FileMaker software for their users. Purchase of FileMaker Licensing for Teams includes FileMaker Server and User Connections. Each user requires a User Connection. User Connections allow clients — including FileMaker Pro (for User Connections), FileMaker Go, and FileMaker WebDirect — to connect to FileMaker Server. Each user may connect to FileMaker Server with only one client at a time.

A user is a unique person who creates or uses apps to view, enter, or modify data with iPad, iPhone, Mac, Windows, or the web using the FileMaker Platform.

Following your observations, the differences between FLT and concurrent licensing would be:

• concurrent licensing costs more than FLT
                            • with concurrent licensing, you need to buy FMP/FMPA for each user, with FLT you get FMP for free with FileMaker Pro (for user conenction).
                            • FileMaker Pro can be used stand alone, but FileMaker Pro (for user connection) needs to connect to a FileMaker Server to work.
                            1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Why does my FM Cloud SSL Certificate make no sense
                              J_File

Hi Planteg,

So this comment "Each user may connect to FileMaker Server with only one client at a time". This is not currently enforced as I am sure I have been logged into a file as both a Desktop and Web Direct person, however it may have allowed me to do this as I have a fully paid up licence for FMP15 Advanced.

I wonder if it would have prevented me from logging in twice if I was trying to log in on a phone AND an iPad for example?

I understand the requirements to purchase enough licences to cover each person who would log into the app. How do I go about downloading the FMP for free to use with the server? Think I have missed that somewhere...

I am not ready to start rolling this out to other users just yet, but will need to do it "for real" in the next 6 to 8 weeks or so.

Thanks for your input.

James

• 12. Re: Why does my FM Cloud SSL Certificate make no sense
                                wimdecorte

planteg wrote:

Hi Wim,

However, FMS enforces the max license count on a concurrency basis.

This is not what FM Inc. says. On this page FileMaker Licensing for Teams FAQ | FileMaker , under What is FileMaker Licensing for teams ?, it is written that "Each user may connect to FileMaker Server with only one client at a time.".

What FMI (FileMaker Inc) says stipulates the legal terms.

What FMS (FileMaker Server) does is enforce a concurrency.

• 13. Re: Why does my FM Cloud SSL Certificate make no sense
                                  planteg

Each paid FMP and FMPA product comes with a license, you don't need to buy one for these users.Being connected with FMPA and WebDirect would use 1 FLT license. But if you connect twice from WebDirect to different databases, that would use 2 FLT licenses. Opening 2 databases from within FMPA would not use any license.

Regarding FileMaker Pro (for user connection), when you buy FMS with FLT, you get a link to download this 'user connection' client (and it's free).

• 14. Re: Why does my FM Cloud SSL Certificate make no sense
                                    jormond

You are misunderstanding what Wim is saying.

From a legal point of view with FLT you have to buy a license for every 'named user', for instance everyone in your workgroup or department or company.

"Everyone" here is everyone who uses FileMaker. Legally, if ONLY those 10 people use FM ( FMUC, Go, WebD ), then you can buy only 10 licenses. But you, legally, can't use them as concurrent connections, even though that is how FMS currently sees them. In effect, allowing anyone in the company to use your FM custom app, as long as no more then 10 are logged in at a time...well that IS a breach of the FLT license.

You are required to purchase a license for every person in your company if 1 of 2 things is true:

1. Everyone in your company uses or accesses FM.

2. You have a site license. Then you are required to prove the number of employees you have. And purchase a license for each person. Even if they don't use FM.

1 2 Previous Next