1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2017 4:14 PM by andyw88

Stop users squatting records

anothersmurf

I can't be the only one to have this problem, so I'm hoping someone smarter than me has solved it...

A DB is hosted. A user sticks the cursor in a field and leaves it there for hours, while doing other things. Meanwhile I can't make any changes to field definitions (unless I kick the user out of the database).

Is there some way to prevent this problem? e.g. Commit Records/Requests after 5 minutes of idle time?

I'm not interested in a field/layout-specific solution, since there are lots of fields and layouts and setting an onTimer script for every one of them would take days of tedious work. DB-specific would be OK, client/server-specific would be ideal (e.g. plugin).

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Stop users squatting records
          philmodjunk

You shouldn't be making changes to field definitions in a hosted database.

That can can damage a file and you lock everyone out while you commit your changes. This can be more than an inconvenience for them as scripts are also locked out and can thus fail to execute correctly.

• 2. Re: Stop users squatting records
            DavidJondreau

You can also create a module that allows you to run a script on their machine from another machine, either using a plugin like Remote Scripter or an offscreen window that can run a trigger when a record is deleted.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Stop users squatting records
              Jaymo

Access to Define Fields in a multi-user solution was purposely added to FileMaker Pro 5.0v3 and has not been removed since. While some may argue that changing schema remotely is risky, I contend it is just as risky locally with corruption coming from improperly closed database files via crashes and power outages. While I don't recommend developing a solution from scratch on a server, accessing a FileMaker solution remotely with a good internet connection to make a few changes is not blocked by the FileMaker application and so must be a valid method for updating solutions.

• 4. Re: Stop users squatting records
                philmodjunk

My advice comes from earlier conversations with FileMaker tech support personnel and at least one senior Engineer for FileMaker. While they have taken steps to reduce the chance of damage due to a "network glitch", it's still possible and such disconnects are more likely than a local "crash" while developing. Plus, you know when your local machine has crashed. You might not for a network glitch.

And that's all beside the main issue--that if you are modifying field definitions while the system is in active use, you lock users out of the entire table--in some cases, this can have catastrophic problems for your data due to blocking scripts from correctly updating data in the table.

• 5. Re: Stop users squatting records
                  dataWolf

Editing a field in a live database is a bad idea - and I do it all the time. When some smurf has camped a table, I go to the server, and you can send them a message, and it defaults to kicking them in two minutes.

• 6. Re: Stop users squatting records
                    mardikennedy

"Editing a field in a live database is a bad idea - and I do it all the time."  Me too, but wherever possible think about philmodjunk's excellent advice, to check whether it's a system that does have the kind of scripting that could be catastrophically affected.

That said, the single, 'missing' user can be a pain.  If so, you might like to vote for my product suggestion:  Lazy User Filtering

• 7. Re: Stop users squatting records
                      wimdecorte

anothersmurf wrote:

A DB is hosted. A user sticks the cursor in a field and leaves it there for hours, while doing other things.

A small point but important in the total understanding & potential fixes:  sticking a cursor in a field does not lock a record.  The record only gets locked when the user actually starts editing the record.

So force-submitting at fairly random on-idle intervals *can* lead to bad data (incomplete records) because it assumes that it is ok to commit no matter what the state of the current edit intent is.  That is a huge assumption to make.

IMHO a better solution to this problem is to create the data entry/edit UX so that the user feels compelled to finish it when they start.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Stop users squatting records
                        Jaymo

All good points made here by phil, mardi, data wolf and win!

Here's a good Knowledge Base article on the subject:

File management best practices | FileMaker

It lists 6 potential reasons for file corruption of which network latency is one. I think it is important to note that the ability to define schema on a live database exists for a reason. There are times when when taking down the entire system to add a single field or modifying a backup and importing the data is just too time consuming. I'm not suggesting that an entire solution be created on a live system, it's just a tool in your arsenal that you need to weigh against the other options you have available.

• 9. Re: Stop users squatting records
                          user25682

Literally dealing with that right now.

A "live server" version of an existing mobile file was needed. It would be used by the public to enter data to an isolated table, so I disabled  Disconnect User from Server. I'm working on refinements and can't do anything because someone is still in a field and left her desk over an hour ago.

• 10. Re: Stop users squatting records
                            philmodjunk

There are times when when taking down the entire system to add a single field or modifying a backup and importing the data is just too time consuming.

But you've missed another option that is safe and completely avoids imports. Doesn't even require moving files nor does it require data separation.

We have a 100+ file system used by over 300 people almost 24/7. And making "data level mods" are where the "almost" comes in. We have a regularly scheduled day of the week when the system is taken down for 30 minutes to a bit over an hour at 10 pm or so. Users are notified in advance by email, a warning message pops up when the main file is opened on the day of the down time and I use the admin console to broadcast warnings at 30 and 15 minutes out from the down time.

I then close all files, use FileMaker Advanced to open them right where they are in the server folder, and make the needed changes. We have a table in the system where developers put in the data mods that they need for that week. I try to make sure that all is in readiness in that file so that the needed changes can either by copy pasted from the mod table or from a development copy of the file (say to add a new table).

Once changes are made, the files are re-opened, external authenticated accounts are allowed back in and an email is broadcast to the users that they can get back in if they need to burn midnight oil that badly.

In cases where a change has been needed on an emergency basis, I've been able to take down a single file, update it and put it back up in less than 15 minutes. (Though I still warn users in advance, both with the time of the downtime and what subsystem will be non-functional.)

• 11. Re: Stop users squatting records
                              Jaymo

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly with your decision on this complex system phil. Thanks for sharing. On less complex systems with less people using them, live schema modification can be considered. It all depends on the scenario. The only issue I have is "always" calling live schema manipulation a bad idea. If you just need to add a single calculation field to create a new report, I'm not sure this lengthy process is necessary.

• 12. Re: Stop users squatting records
                                philmodjunk

With a smaller system and fewer users, this technique becomes easier, less intrusive on users, not harder.

We may just have to agree to disagree here, but I'll never unnecessarily risk damaging a file--I've seen too many cases where the damage goes undiscovered for extended periods of time--when there's an alternative. I'd much rather inconvenience myself  by staying up a little bit late once a week rather than take such a risk.

• 13. Re: Stop users squatting records
                                  jormond

We feel the same way. We have a large complex system that is being hammered on by ~100 users all day. Live development isn't just an option, it's necessary for a lot of items. We simply don't have the cycles most of the year to build in a dev version and either move it, or do imports. Simply way too much data across too many tables.

Most of our development, though, doesn't require us to touch the data schema too much. That we typically plan out. But it's rare. The system has run for 10 years with no issues, and no evidence of corruption ( and we do often check ).

We almost always develop on a host file. And almost NEVER on a local file. If the local file crashes, we have found it to do more damage than if it's just FMPA crashing. Almost never run into network issues here.

• 14. Re: Stop users squatting records
                                    philmodjunk

We almost always develop on a host file. And almost NEVER on a local file. If the local file crashes, we have found it to do more damage than if it's just FMPA crashing.

To repeat a comment that I made earlier. Yes, a local crash is far more likely to damage a file BUT, you know that it crashed and thus can revert to backups. You do not always know that a network glitch introduced latent corruption into a file.

1 2 Previous Next