1 2 Previous Next 28 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2017 10:18 AM by storebridge

Should I upgrade to FileMaker 15 first or should I upgrade to MacOS Sierra first?

liyangao

We have two upgrades waiting for us. One is to upgrade FileMaker 12 to FileMaker 15. The other is to upgrade Mac OS 10.10 or 10.11 to MacOS Sierra 10.12.

We run into the problem of seeing misaligned layout when some mac were upgraded to Sierra 10.12. When I tested on 10.10, it seems okey to open Filemaker 12 database in FileMaker 15 pro, i.e. the fields on the layout are aligned as in FileMaker 12.

Now I have a decision to make.

Should I upgrade to FileMaker 15 first then upgrade to Sierra 10.12 or should I upgrade the OS to Sierra 10.12 first then upgrade FileMaker 12 to 15? Any suggestions on the order are highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Liyan

• 1. Re: Should I upgrade to FileMaker 15 first or should I upgrade to MacOS Sierra first?
          TSGal

liyangao:

FileMaker Pro 15 is certified to run under Mac OS X 10.10, Mac OS X 10.11, and macOS Sierra 10.12.  Since FileMaker Pro 12 is not certified to run under any of these operating systems (Mac OS X 10.9 is highest version), you should upgrade FileMaker Pro 12 to FileMaker Pro 15.  Then, you can update your operating system at your leisure.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Should I upgrade to FileMaker 15 first or should I upgrade to MacOS Sierra first?
            Benjamin Fehr

I would recommend to do FMP Updates first for convenience sake. There are some rare occasion  where installers failed due to missing OR newer Version of Oracle's Java resources.

Some nasty Sierra bugs have been resolved with macOS 10.12.3.

You already have FM12 installed with Mac OS 10.10. Doing fresh install of FM12 on macOS Sierra is the thing I would imagine to see issues.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Should I upgrade to FileMaker 15 first or should I upgrade to MacOS Sierra first?
              liyangao

TSGal,

Thank you very much for your prompt response. I will update to FM 15 first.

I do have a follow-up question. One Mac in our team has been upgraded to MacOS Sierra ahead of everyone else due to issues on his mac. On his MacOS Sierra, we observed that all the Arial font has been automatically converted to Helvetica font and his layout became misaligned with the objects. Even when I changed the font back, it will not be saved and went back to Helvetica.  I am afraid that I might run into this after I update to FM 15 then to the new MacOS Sierra.  Any idea how to fix this? Your suggestions are highly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Liyan

• 4. Re: Should I upgrade to FileMaker 15 first or should I upgrade to MacOS Sierra first?
                liyangao

Hey, Benjamin Fehr,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me on the order of upgrades. I was afraid that going from FM12 on 10.10 directly to FM15 on 10.12 will open the Pandora's box for bugs. Thank you for pointing out possible JAVA update problem. Doing upgrade to FM15 first makes more sense to me now.

Thank you for your input!

Sincerely,

Liyan

• 5. Re: Should I upgrade to FileMaker 15 first or should I upgrade to MacOS Sierra first?
                  TSGal

liyangao:

When upgrading to macOS Sierra 10.12.x, not all system fonts are downloaded.  However, Arial should have been installed.

Is the database file being hosted?  If so, do other FileMaker Pro clients see the font as Arial?

Are you changing the field font settings, or are you changing the contents of the field to Arial?  At what point do  you see the contents changing to Helvetica?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Should I upgrade to FileMaker 15 first or should I upgrade to MacOS Sierra first?
                    storebridge

We are having the exact same issue with the Arial substitution on an iMac newly upgraded to Sierra from Mountain Lion. Everything's Helvetica now even when we try to manually change it to Arial or set the overall default font to Arial. It will switch to any other font we choose, just not Arial. It's messing with our layouts and I don't like it!

We're running FM 12 right now, although we purchased FM 14 and were planning to upgrade to that. I don't know if that would fix the issue or not.

We have another machine recently upgraded to El Capitan from Mountain Lion, and the Arial font is still fine on that one when using Filemaker.

Judging by this other thread I found we are not alone: FileMaker Forum | FMT FIleMaker Community

• 7. Re: Should I upgrade to FileMaker 15 first or should I upgrade to MacOS Sierra first?
                      storebridge

Hi TSGal,

We are having the same issue as liyangao's user above: layouts previously using Arial are now universally substituting Helvetica on an iMac newly upgraded to Sierra from Mountain Lion. Everything's Helvetica now even when we try to manually change it to Arial or set the overall default font to Arial. It will switch to any other font we choose, just not Arial. It's messing with our layouts and I don't like it!

We're running FM 12 right now, although we purchased FM 14 and were planning to upgrade to that. I don't know if that would fix the issue or not.

We have another machine recently upgraded to El Capitan from Mountain Lion, and the Arial font is still fine on that one when using Filemaker.

Judging by this other thread I found we are not alone: FileMaker Forum | FMT FIleMaker Community

To answer your specific questions, the file is being hosted on the Sierra computer. We have a laptop running Yosimite and another iMac running El Capitan and when we open the files on either of those computers, the Arial show up fine.

It happens whether we are changing the field font settings, the contents of the field or even setting the default font preference for the whole file via the File > Preferences menu.

The various dropdowns will allow us to select Arial from the font list, but the font onscreen never actually changes from Helvetica to Arial. It stays Helvetica, and the next time you click on the font list, it's showing Helvetica as selected.

Checking it out in FontBook, we have two versions of Arial but only one is active. I've tried disabling and activating the other version of the font, even disabling all and re-activating all, but that hasn't worked (although it certainly made my browser results look pretty interesting while Arial wasn't activated!)

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Should I upgrade to FileMaker 15 first or should I upgrade to MacOS Sierra first?
                        TSGal

storebridge:

Instead of disabling and re-activating, try removing both Arial fonts, and then download a new instance.

FileMaker Pro 12 will not run properly under macOS Sierra 10.12.x.

This font substitution issue has been reported by a few other Community members, but to date, we have been unable to reproduce the issue in house.

What theme are you using for the layout?  Keep in mind that the Classic theme has been removed from FileMaker Pro 15, so we recommend moving your layouts to a different built-in theme.

Does the font substitution occur if the file is hosted on a non-Sierra computer?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Should I upgrade to FileMaker 15 first or should I upgrade to MacOS Sierra first?
                          storebridge

Hi TSGal,

Thanks for the reply.

I will try removing and re-installing Arial fonts. I will also test hosting the file on another computer. I'll report back once I have done so.

We knew that Filemaker 12 wasn't officially supported under Sierra and we're planning to upgrade to FM 14 (which is already purchased) but aren't quite ready yet. Meanwhile, except for the font issue we have had no problems with FM 12 under Sierra since we upgraded on 3/16.

We are not using any built-in themes but rather created layouts from a blank-layout start every time. I guess from the minimal research I've done I will have to create a custom theme for Filemaker 14 (unless that's new in Filemaker 15).

• 10. Re: Should I upgrade to FileMaker 15 first or should I upgrade to MacOS Sierra first?
                            storebridge

Regarding "downloading a new instance" of Arial, are you recommending I trash the fonts and then re-install it from the Sierra install package? The instructions I'm finding for that are pretty complicated: Font Management in macOS and OS X

Or are you saying to actually purchase Arial from a legitimate site like fonts.com? I would be pretty frustrated to spend money on a system font only to find this didn't work...

My other option is to try to copy the font files over from one of the other two computers.

What would you say is best for troubleshooting purposes?

• 11. Re: Should I upgrade to FileMaker 15 first or should I upgrade to MacOS Sierra first?
                              storebridge

UPDATE: I have now tested hosting the file on our two other computers: a laptop running Yosemite, and an iMac running El Capitan.

The file correctly displayed Arial when viewed on either of these two machines regardless of which was the host.

The file incorrectly displayed Helvetica when viewed on the iMac running Sierra, regardless of which of the other machines was the host.

Other variations of Arial do work, such as Arial Black and Arial Narrow, but not Arial (regular) or Arial Bold. Arial Bold Italic does work.

• 12. Re: Should I upgrade to FileMaker 15 first or should I upgrade to MacOS Sierra first?
                                TSGal

storebridge:

My apologies for not being clear.

If you are installing macOS Sierra, the Arial font will automatically be installed.  If you are not installing macOS Sierra, then remove the Arial fonts and reinstall Arial from the appropriate system.

Here is a listing of fonts installed with macOS Sierra:

Fonts included with macOS Sierra - Apple Support

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Should I upgrade to FileMaker 15 first or should I upgrade to MacOS Sierra first?
                                  storebridge

Hi TSGal,

Sierra has already been installed (on 3/16), and it was a totally clean install. We then restored from a Time Machine backup.

When you say "from the appropriate system," I do not understand you.

• 14. Re: Should I upgrade to FileMaker 15 first or should I upgrade to MacOS Sierra first?
                                    TSGal

storebridge:

You mentioned "a laptop running Yosemite" and "an iMac running El Capitan".  If the issue is on the laptop, then install the Arial font from the Yosemite files.  If the issue is on the iMac, then install the Arial font from the El Capitan files.

When you restored from the Time Machine backup, what did you restore?  Did you restore any fonts that would overwrite the macOS Sierra installed fonts?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next