6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2017 8:57 AM by wimdecorte

Filemaker Cloud Idiot's Guide

Storganise

Hi All,

To save wading through the myriad videos that I seem to have missed on the FBA site, can someone give me an idiot's guide to costs for Filemaker Cloud? I have just been on the Filemaker website, and then off to AWS and the choices of Hourly rate vs annual seems immensely unclear and prohibitively wordy.

Is this worth doing for small clients or is it more suited for 25+ users? I have a company I want to upgrade from a Runtime solution, but they only have 2 users.

Sorry to be such a dolt, but it really seems to me to be utterly confusing and potentially expensive.

Thanks

James

• 1. Re: Filemaker Cloud Idiot's Guide
          wimdecorte

Storganise wrote:

Is this worth doing for small clients or is it more suited for 25+ users?

The number of users is largely irrelevant in deciding the value.   The question whether or not to use FMS is the same if you are considering FM Cloud or an on-premise server and is the same whether you have 5 or 50 users.

Once you have decided you need to use FMS because of all its benefits then the question is:

1- do you want your own on-premise FMS?

2- or do you want your FMS in the cloud

a-- does FM Cloud's reduced features still fit?

b-- or do you want the full FMS?

Once you decide on the cloud, the cost between FM Cloud and a regular FMS-in-the-cloud (say running on a Windows instance of AWS) is not that different.  Probably $30-$40 more per month.

The cost of the FMS license remains the same in all of these scenarios so the only difference is whether you prefer to pay for it by month or do a capital outlay and get your own hardware.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Filemaker Cloud Idiot's Guide
            Storganise

Thanks Wim,

It does all seem a little complicated compared to a hosting provider - FMPHosts who I use obviously do the job so much simpler than I have ever given them credit for!

James

• 3. Re: Filemaker Cloud Idiot's Guide
              wimdecorte

Yep, FM Cloud is not a simple 'fire and forget', it is a real server running its own FMS.  It's not shared and you don't get 'service' in administering that server.  So you can't really compare it to traditional FM hosting.

But you get total control, total transparency, no dependency on someone else's support.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Cloud Idiot's Guide
                FM6Til15

Hallo Wim,

If everything to do by myself (you wrote so):  What is the advantage or disadvantage against «booking an Amazon-Webservice-Server» direct by me?  Amazon seems to cost less?

• 5. Re: Filemaker Cloud Idiot's Guide
                  PointInSpace

Note that we provide an option with a full FileMaker Server install, at pricing competitive with FileMaker Cloud / AWS.  Please DM me here or contact me at jmay(at)pointinspace.com for details.

- John

• 6. Re: Filemaker Cloud Idiot's Guide
                    wimdecorte

kottke wrote:

Hallo Wim,

If everything to do by myself (you wrote so): What is the advantage or disadvantage against «booking an Amazon-Webservice-Server» direct by me? Amazon seems to cost less?

If you get your own Windows AWS instance and install FMS on it:

- it's a little more expensive than FM Cloud

- but you have all the features of FMS, some of which are not available in FM Cloud

- you don't get the benefit of the auto-update feature of FM Cloud

- you don't get the benefit of auto snapshot backups, you have to configure your own backup strategy

3 of 3 people found this helpful