1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 20, 2017 8:56 AM by TSGal

Why do guides vanish when a file is closed?

dburnham

I've got a database with over 100 layouts that all need to use a set of layout guides that are very carefully placed.  Every time I re-open the file, (which is hosted) the guides are gone and must be re-created. 

I've locked the guides and set them to show across all layouts.  That doesn't help.

If best practices tells us that files should not be developed locally, but always hosted somewhere, then it does not make any sense to require that a file be running locally in order for guides to persist.

• 1. Re: Why do guides vanish when a file is closed?
          TSGal

dburnham:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.

In my file, I set up a layout that had the options Rulers, Show Grid, Show Guides, Snap to Guides, and Dynamic Guides.  I saved the layout, and then uploaded the file to FileMaker Server 15.0.3.  Now, when I open the hosted file, the options are still available.

Perhaps you are trying to make changes to the hosted file?  Since the file is already open and hosted by FileMaker Server, those changes are only temporary.  Instead, close the hosted file, move the file to your local machine, make the changes, and then upload the file FileMaker Server.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.