5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2017 12:14 PM by danielvasilios

How do I show other records on a record in same table?

danielvasilios

I want to make a layout where the top part is used for placing a record in a group and the lower part is used to show the content of all the groups. I may be missing a very simple solution but I'm stuck so any help would be appreciated. I made a very crude muck-up:

idea.001.jpeg

• 1. Re: How do I show other records on a record in same table?
          SteveMartino

I wish there was a head-scratching emoji...

Will it always be 3 groups, can it ever change?

Without knowing your workflow or what you're trying to accomplish it's kind of hard to make some recommendations.

If you could provide the actual narrative of what you are trying to do (and why) someone can most likely help.

But just looking at it, the groups could be portals.  The dropdown could be a hard coded value list.  An OnObjectModify script trigger could grab the group number, and the primary key of the person record, and put it in the proper group.  But that doesn't mean this is good structure or even a good idea.

I think in the FM training series (back in 12) I remember something like this for Meetings and Attendees (join table), and adding attendees to a meeting.

• 2. Re: How do I show other records on a record in same table?
            danielvasilios

I'm trying to give our secretary an overview of who's is attending an audition in what timeslots and at the same time making it possible for her to change the group of the record she is on.

I could easily make two layouts and have her change between them, but ideally all information is available at a glance.

When I deploy the solution the number of groups will be constant. If using portals I need to use more than one table right?

I have also been looking at calculations, but can't seem to crack this problem. Does the above make any sense at all?

• 3. Re: How do I show other records on a record in same table?
              philmodjunk

You need at least two tables, likely more. One table has a record for each person that is auditioning. One table has a record for each audition.

• 4. Re: How do I show other records on a record in same table?
                SteveMartino

After you fix your structure, you could probably just produce a simple report.

For starters, the way I see it you have an Event-Table 1.  If the event is only ever one day, that makes it a little easier. If not then you will need a table for Days-Table 2.  A table for Participants and a table for Groups. And probably a table for Results-I'm assuming auditions indicate some sort of contest, or something 'happens' after a group auditions..

I know you're trying for a quick fix but I think you have to consider proper data modeling first, then everything falls into place.

• 5. Re: How do I show other records on a record in same table?
                  danielvasilios

Truth be told It started out as a flat file listing all the participants and holding their CV/pictures/videos. Pretty straight forward. Then I started thinking that it would be great if the placing in timeslots (groups) would be a great addition. My understanding of relations is at a beginner level, but I can see that that is the way to go. I hoped that there were a "show saved search results" feature somewhere.

Right now I have one table called "participants". You suggest that I make another called "groups" with a field called group nummer and 12 records in it (thats the number of timeslots we have). The problem here, as far as I can see is that I cannot get the "group" table to fetch the names of the participants so that it can be showed back at the participant layout.

Is that what the "results" table is for?

I'm sorry for my noob questions :-)