7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2017 8:47 AM by Jaymo

FM bad behavior on cancel insert script steps...

sstpierre

Hi!

Is it me or FM is not perfect again!!

When you cancel over an insert script step dialog box, well... your customer, user, etc, just canceled the insertion of file, pdf, etc

not the removing of what was there before the script step action !! ??

Can't have get(LastError) to stop this anoying behavior...

Any work around; Plug-ins (!?) or God act (! again we have to manege the unmaneged...) for supplying FM lack of programing, logical and ergonomic knowledge of what is a real IDE...

FileMaker is not Maytag!!!

Have a beer on St-Pats!!

Get drunk and forget about FM wierdo

• 1. Re: FM bad behavior on cancel insert script steps...
          Jaymo

I think what you want to do is Set Error Capture [On] and then check for error 1 in an If script step. You can then cancel the rest of the script or do whatever you like.

• 2. Re: FM bad behavior on cancel insert script steps...
            sstpierre

Na!

Was already configured like this, got FMP adv 15

And a couple of decade of bad expériences with FM

Try this : call script step to insert file, pdf, image, etc in a container, then call it again and now cancel the FM internal dialog box for the file insert and VOILA FM at is best, it flush the file, image, pdf without your consent!!!

My script is set with an if that check for get(lastError) ≠ 0

Even - read that here ??? - with no #Comment befor the Capture of the error as it may flush the FM error Stack (!!??)

tx anyway

• 3. Re: FM bad behavior on cancel insert script steps...
              BruceRobertson

False.

FileMaker has long had the "Open Record" script step; as well as the Revert Record command.

I have tested the following script in your scenario. Works fine.

Does NOT replace the existing picture if the user cancels.

Insert Picture Script.png

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: FM bad behavior on cancel insert script steps...
                sstpierre

HI! Bruce did exactly what you tell.

It Works, but still, we had to revert, should FM does it naturally as it is more than obvius that if we cancel, well we don't want things changed. So FM is to fast at removing the file without waiting for the user input. And we have, again, to supply the lack of ergonomy in FM to revert the "Removal" are self !!

If you Bruce, and guy like Phil and Mitch and Woman Like Beverly and many and many guru weren't there?

What would be the business of FileMaker Pro?

tx a lot

Hope that they do read sometimes and learn from it

Consistancy, ergonomy, logic. They should stop a bit, we don't need gyzmo - like iBeacon and iPay, but Strong, Solid and Dynamic App.

After that you can give us snipets of gadgets.

But FileMaker PRO is an Apple division : we have to go tru a musical app to get our thing in FM Go. A music player!

Even God need iTunes to function properly...

It's sunny...

tx Bruce

• 5. Re: FM bad behavior on cancel insert script steps...
                  BruceRobertson

I do not agree with your conclusion. The behavior is understandable and logical.

The concepts of open records, committing or reverting a change have been around essentially forever yet you do not have a practical grasp of where they apply. It will always be the case that it is important to be precise and detailed when doing things with any technology. Think script triggers, for example.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: FM bad behavior on cancel insert script steps...
                    Vaughan

Insert the new file into a global field, and only update the record (set the new file into the stored container field) if there is no error.

• 7. Re: FM bad behavior on cancel insert script steps...
                      Jaymo

I agree with Bruce. The behavior makes logical sense to me as well. Seems like you are more interested in bad mouthing FileMaker than actually getting an answer to your question.