13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2017 9:01 AM by craig157

Help with a Search Option

craig157

Hi All,

Hopefully a simple one for you all!

So we have 10k+ Customer Records that have been setup over the last couple of years.

We also use the names going by the legal entity so unfortunately we end up with some records like below:

AB Limited

A B Limited

A&B Limited

A & B Limited

Is there a way that I could setup a search that could pull through all of those records and only those?

This is one of the most annoying tickets that get's raised by our users as I have never had a proper answer for them.

Hope this makes sense,

• 1. Re: Help with a Search Option
          coherentkris

if those 4 values are just alterations of the normal legal entity name then i would tackle the problem by defining a "normal" legal entity name, scrub the data to normalize, and build ui devices to ensure the users can only enter the normal value.

Correct the bad data and the problem goes away.

Your search will need to keep getting more complex as the data gets worse.

• 2. Re: Help with a Search Option
            Suresh

In Search you can make it as drop-down & fetch the search elements from that main field value-list!

60% possibilities to avoid mismatch!

HTH,

Suresh

• 3. Re: Help with a Search Option
              craig157

Thanks for the response,

What I was trying to explain (probably not very well) is that I need to have a way to search that could pull through those styles of format.

Like I had tried A@B@C which means only those like 'A B C' appeared or had a character rather than a space.

• 4. Re: Help with a Search Option
                rgordon

Create a calc or autoenter field that strips out the space and ampersand. Then do the search on that field.  ABlimited would find all four.  You also need to do something to prevent this problem from happening.

• 5. Re: Help with a Search Option
                  craig157

Cheers for that!

Unfortunately I can't ammend this data as this is what companies go by for their legal entity.

So it would be more of these being the possible options;

A B C Limited

ABC Limited

But I want to find a way to make this one search rather than having to try both.

I was thinking of maybe set up a script and save search but I am not wanting to have a Saved Search for every company with three characters...

We have many companies like (obviously made up):

C A G Factory

J & B Blah blah

J C G Ltd

O B N Limited

T F F Print

O L D Extra

Ideally I want to set it up so you type your Three Characters and it will be able to find with ease.

Think I might be struggling to make clear my aim here but hopefully it makes sense!

• 6. Re: Help with a Search Option
                    philmodjunk

Unfortunately I can't ammend this data as this is what companies go by for their legal entity.

So it would be more of these being the possible options;

A B C Limited

ABC Limited

But I want to find a way to make this one search rather than having to try both.

Those statements contradict each other. Either the company is named A B C Limited or ABC limited. One is correct, the other is not or you have two different companies that should not be treated as the same. Even if both are considered correct, you aren't renaming the company, just editing the names to make them both correct and consistent.

There are any number of UI design based strategies that will limit your users to using just one of these two variations for a given company. Picking the company name from a value list is the simplest approach, many more sophisticated options are also possible.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Help with a Search Option
                      craig157

Cheers..

I am looking at this from a perspective of not knowing how the format is setup.

So scenario; the receptionist gets a call from A B C Limited - so she searches the company name in our system to find out who the relevant Helpdesk would be for them.

Her first search is 'ABC Limited' and nothing appears,

Her second search is 'A B C Limited' and this works and she is able to pass on the customer. End Scenario.

Essentially I want to cut out the need to do the second search for companies that have names that are just a few characters and can vary in Format due to how they are setup for the legal entity.

• 8. Re: Help with a Search Option
                        philmodjunk

You might check Monkey Bread Software to see if they have a tool that can help. Another person posted some info about a pair of functions from them that return a numerical value indicating how closely two strings match to each other. You might be able to set up a filtered portal where you enter the name into a field and the portal's filter uses one of these functions to list all companies with names that are close to that entered and sorted to list the most closely matching entry first.

• 9. Re: Help with a Search Option
                          rgordon

Create a value list of previously entered companies and only allow the search criteria to come from that list.

• 10. Re: Help with a Search Option
                            craig157

Will give it a go!

• 11. Re: Help with a Search Option
                              Suresh

craig157, was i mentioned same point or messed up!!

Suresh wrote:

In Search you can make it as drop-down & fetch the search elements from that main field value-list!

60% possibilities to avoid mismatch!

HTH,

Suresh

• 12. Re: Help with a Search Option
                                coherentkris

IMHO the drop down search is a good option ...if you can tolerate the "garbage" data that is being allowed as the company name. Soon as you have to design a report based on that field you'll have to feel the pain.

• 13. Re: Help with a Search Option
                                  craig157

Well there is over 150k records so will need to be some strict guidelines on the Dropdown search bar.

Also the worst part is we purchased most of this data so guess we won't be using those data sources anymore!

Cheers