4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2017 9:50 PM by luffyfilemaker007

"Pop up window" on new record creation, with validation before commit record

luffyfilemaker007

Hi guys;

I am new to Filemaker.

And I am looking to have an intermediate step when I create a new customer record.

I mean like a small window that would open with  very few  information Fields about the customer but that should absolutely be entered.

For example Name, Family name and Date Of Birth.

Once this small window data completed I would like to click OK to validate and commit this record.

And than can go on a bigger layout of the customer with more Fields I could enter, but are not obligatory (phone number, email, )

But if I click cancel I would like to Record creation to cancel.

I already have my big Layout for the customer with all the Fields so I am just looking for this intermediate step on Record Creation.

Do you have any idea how this would have to be set up ?

Regards

• 1. Re: "Pop up window" on new record creation, with validation before commit record
          philmodjunk

Use a popover button.

Put global fields for the data entry inside the popover panel.

When a button is clicked inside the popover, the data in the global fields is validated and then, if valid, a new record is created and the data is transferred from the globals to corresponding fields in the new record.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: "Pop up window" on new record creation, with validation before commit record
            luffyfilemaker007

Hi;

Thanks for the advise, but I'm not sure to understand as I am new to Filemaker.

How should I even start to set this ?

I can imagine making the popover panel or window; and two buttons "Cancel" and "Ok" with the related scripts.

But I can't picture how to work with the global fields.

Should I make like a new Table for the global fields ? Or do these go in my "Contacts" Table?

Or can I use my Fields already? I am looking to have "First Name" "Family Name" "Date of Birth" and that the record can not get created if these are not entered properly.

• 3. Re: "Pop up window" on new record creation, with validation before commit record
              philmodjunk

"Should I make like a new Table for the global fields ? Or do these go in my "Contacts" Table?"

Global fields are fields that have global storage specified in field options. These fields have the same value no matter which record is current and can be accessed from any layout in your file. That's why they are called "global".  You can define these fields in any table you want. Setting up a table just for globals is often useful.

"Or can I use my Fields already?"

Not as global fields. If you think about what I just wrote, you should see why.

" I am looking to have "First Name" "Family Name" "Date of Birth" and that the record can not get created if these are not entered properly."

So define 3 global fields, two text, one date. gFirstName, gFamilyName, gDOB. These fields are only global if you select that storage option and the following script will not work if they aren't global.

Your "save" button would work like this:

New Record/Request

Set Field [ YourTable::FirstName ; Globals::gFirstName ]

Set Field [ YourTable::FamilyName ; Globals::gFamilyName ]

Set Field [ YourTable::DOB ; Globals::gDOB ]

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: "Pop up window" on new record creation, with validation before commit record
                luffyfilemaker007

Hi,

Thanks again for your help.

I get the GlobalField concept much better already.

I think I can work on something from this.

Have a good day