10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2017 2:09 AM by ms.leefsma

Suppress Adobe when using containers

ndveitch

Hi There,

Is there a way to suppress Adobe toolbars when viewing PDF's in containers?

I have the Adobe Acrobat DC on my machine because I need to edit PDF's and I have noticed that my containers in FileMaker are now opening with as many toolbars as Adobe can fit into the container. With all the extra rubbish in the container of which I can only hide the side toolbars, the toolbar with print, email, upload to Adobe cloud and Save I can't hide, scrolling the PDF is painfully slow. I changed the container setting to "Images" and that seemed to do the trick, at least now I can view the PDF in the container and not all the Adobe stuff, but surely there should be a way to suppress all the Adobe rubbish that is now showing up in the containers that are set to "PDF".

• 1. Re: Suppress Adobe when using containers
          PeterWindle

try installing the Adobe Reader DC, I had a client that had Acrobat DC installed on Windows 7 and it actually caused errors when viewing pdf's in containers (FM15)... they also view a lot of PDF's on multiple Windows 7 PCs and aftern installing Reader DC from adobe's website, not only did the errors go away (thank you Tim from FM support Australia), but even better, this reader seemed to show the pdf sans rubbish...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Suppress Adobe when using containers
            mikebeargie

The rubbish is coming from adobe, not from filemaker. Essentially in this case filemaker is loading an app within their app, and unless control is built in for that app (it's not in this case, since just the general default PDF program is used), there's nothing you can do inside of filemaker itself to control it.

However a quick google search of "Hide acrobat reader toolbars by default" nets a trove of results for how to do such things. You may want to play around with that to see if you can come up with something to instruct users on as part of the install process.

Per the above search:

For Adobe Reader, go to Edit > Preferences (or press Ctrl+K) and under “Documents” section, uncheck “Open tools pane for each document”.
            2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Suppress Adobe when using containers
              ndveitch

Hi,

Thank-you for the replies. I can't use Adobe Reader as I need the extra features that Adobe Pro has, so unfortunately that is not an option.

Mike, I will play around with the settings but this is not ideal as I would have to make sure that my client always has the correct settings for whatever Adobe install they have on the various machines. Because of this I can't use the PDF setting in FileMaker because I can't take the risk of one of the users installing Adobe and then the container fields look horrible.

I will keep playing with ideas and hopefully something comes up. It shouldn't be that hard as I can't recall this happening in previous versions of FileMaker.

• 4. Re: Suppress Adobe when using containers
                mikebeargie

If you want to get into higher level stuff, you might look into applescripting with adobe acrobat. There is a library specifically for it under the applescript editor utility.

I’m not sure if you’d be able to run a script that sets preferences, but perhaps an alternative would be launching the PDF instead and setting the window settings via applescript.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Suppress Adobe when using containers
                  ndveitch

Hi Mike,

Thanx for this, I will look into it.

• 6. Re: Suppress Adobe when using containers
                    PeterWindle

Actually, you can have the Adobe Pro installed and the DC reader installed at the same time. The client I have does exactly that. The reader does the displaying of the pdf, the Pro software runs as an app for authoring.

• 7. Re: Suppress Adobe when using containers
                      AmyGuo

Hello ndveith,

I have a problem with viewing PDF file in container field after installing Adobe Acrobat DC and FileMaker 15.01 (64-bit) in Windows 7 (64-bit). I had enabled Adobe PDF Reader add-on in IE 11. Any suggestion about it?

Thanks,

Amy

• 8. Re: Suppress Adobe when using containers
                        ms.leefsma

None of the suggestiosn so far have worked for me. I would rather eliminate Acrobat reader alltogether from filemaker and view pdf's in the viewer of mac. Is that possible?

• 9. Re: Suppress Adobe when using containers
                          mikebeargie

Did you see the above about using applescript to open a PDF with preview?

you probably can't control if a user will or will not have acrobat installed, so the only way to "force" it is to try and open it up with that program directly.

• 10. Re: Suppress Adobe when using containers
                            ms.leefsma

I did, Mike, but haven't dared trying yet; I will do so soon

Will try your 2nd suggestion as well, thanks for your help