1 2 3 Previous Next 110 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2017 1:07 PM by fmpdude

FileMaker Pro pricing

PeterWindle

I could be causing a stir with this question (it's not technical- perhaps a little political)

Firstly, do you think FileMaker product is well priced?

If you could set the pricing of FileMaker Product, what would it be and what about the pricing structure?

Personally, I would wish VERY MUCH for a thin client version (same as the iOS version) of FM on Windows and Mac, perhaps that would be in the pipeline? But for now, as for the licence pricing / price per user, what would you like to see?

I'd also LOVE to see better education pricing...

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro pricing
          monkeybreadsoftware

Last year we thought FileMaker would work on a free client App.

see my ideas here:

MBS Blog - Thoughts about FileMaker app

• 2. Re: FileMaker Pro pricing
            PeterWindle

One of the other things I might mention here is that a few years ago, I had a client send me a specification to build a solution, I was just about to quote them when I was told that they found someone to do the work (in SQL) and they where quoted $3500 AUD for the whole job. It was a 25 page spec, so no small feat. I would not have even been able to deliver enough copies of FileMaker for that kind of money.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Pro pricing
              twelvetens

I guess my short answer to your question would be no - I don't think Filemaker Pro is particularly well priced. I agree with Christian and others in that there should be some way of distributing a Filemaker App of some sort for free to people. FMI can make money through connection licenses to a server, that makes sense to me. Similarly, if someone wants to start actually building databases, then of course a fully functioning version of Filemaker Pro / Filemaker Pro Advanced should be available, for a cost too.

My issue is that I build a solution for a client, which they pay me for. Then they have to pay Filemaker for copies of a piece of software that they will never use 80% of the functionality for. Indeed, typically I'll lock them out of being able to edit the Database / Layouts / Scripts etc, so why not allow them to get what essentially amounts to Filemaker Go for desktop from the App Store?

I guess the general trajectory for FMI now is to have developers use FMP/FMPA to build solutions, and then everyone will access the solutions via WebDirect / Filemaker Cloud, but until we have absolute feature parity between FMP and WebDirect, that's not really a viable solution, IMHO.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Pro pricing
                wimdecorte

PeterWindle wrote:

"Well priced" is totally subjective and impossible to answer.  For some it will be too expensive for some just right and for some wildly cheap.  The reason for this variation in reaction to pricing is the perceived value you get out of it.  If a company can save $100,000 for a $10,000 investment in licenses they will consider it a steal.

The 'thin client' is largely an outcome of a desire to have a cheaper option which brings up back to the value vs. cost.

I would like a thin client but not because of the cost; but for ease of installation and customization; a client that I would just add things too instead of having to take things away (menus,...)

• 5. Re: FileMaker Pro pricing
                  wimdecorte

PeterWindle wrote:

One of the other things I might mention here is that a few years ago, I had a client send me a specification to build a solution, I was just about to quote them when I was told that they found someone to do the work (in SQL) and they where quoted $3500 AUD for the whole job. It was a 25 page spec, so no small feat. I would not have even been able to deliver enough copies of FileMaker for that kind of money.

That's just unrealistic though.  $3500 AUD is around $2500 USD.  At a rate of $100/h that's 25h of work, At $50/h that's 50h of work.  Unless there were a lot of empty pages in that 25-page spec I don't see how anyone can deliver something of that scale in that timeframe.  You're always going to lose jobs to this kind of thing and no level of FM pricing is going to prevent that.

FM is a premium platform that offers a lot of RAD capabilities and the cost reflects that.   What you are describing "in sql" is not something you can compare against unless you also know what other tools are being used.  SQL databases are just that: a db backend; you still have to pick tools for the front-end and the server+client side scripting.  A lot of those other tools are free but require a level of proficiency and developer knowledge much higher than what is required to build something decent in FM.  The FM engineers code a lot of stuff that we'd otherwise would have to and charge the client for.  Now FM charges us and we just use it...

• 6. Re: FileMaker Pro pricing
                    alecgregory

PeterWindle wrote:

Yes. Pricing of FileMaker software has rarely been an issue for anyone I've worked with. When it has come up, clients generally look at the alternatives and realize FileMaker is good value.

PeterWindle wrote:

Aside from the fact that anyone can say anything and there's no accomplishment in just saying a number, what was this system that it could be delivered entirely in SQL, without the need to even specify which implementation of SQL, or have any front end in the system? Was it just a 25-page list of tables they needed building?

There are many factors that go into the price someone quotes for a solution and the platform that solution runs on is just one of those. Perhaps in this case you came up against the most efficient SQL developer in the world (you'd have to be pretty efficient if you only worked in SQL). Perhaps it was a chancer who would say anything to get the job. Perhaps the client made the quote up or misunderstood it. Without more detail, this isn't an instructive example.

• 7. Re: FileMaker Pro pricing
                      fmpdude

I know this this type of question the OP asked always seems to get people excited.

First of all, I LIKE FILEMAKER. I USE FILEMAKER. Got those points out of the way. OK.

However, on any paying client project I've worked, my clients expect an "EXE" or "APP", not a per-person charged copy of FMP or a server product priced high with (in my view) scaleability issues. Due to these issues, I abandoned any project that could use it. Should FMS support hundreds or thousands of users, that might change.

I recently had a chance to work with a company that used FMP and FMS, but they too were planning to move off the platform due to perceived scaleability issues, costs, needing to maintain a "robot", and for other reasons.

So at least for me, FMP is a single copy I use for my personal (small) projects. It's great at what it does, but IMHO, FMI has boxed themselves into a corner with their pricing "model". When you add into all this the few software updates (almost no updates for any version other than the current version), unlike other software products, that too concerns me.

If FMS cost, say, $1,000, which to me is what it is worth, with unlimited connections, I'd be in a better position to use it.

My two cents.

• 8. Re: FileMaker Pro pricing
                        wimdecorte

fmpdude wrote:

However, on any paying client project I've worked, my clients expect an "EXE" or "APP",

In my 20+ years that has never ever come up.  Clients expect a solution to their problem.  The form that the solution takes is totally secondary and never and issue.

That would be like the client saying "you can only work on my project if you drive a white car...".

fmpdude wrote:

not a per-person charged copy of FMP or a server product priced high

Perhaps it is a difference in approach.  The cost of infrastructure and licenses is just part of the overall picture, not something that is discussed separately.  Only the total cost of the project (license cost + infrastructure + development + deployment) can sway the project one way or the other because one influences the other.

• 9. Re: FileMaker Pro pricing
                          fmpdude

Wim,

I'm not trying to start an argument.

My clients tend to be technical (not mom and pop shops or similar) and thus demand to know the internals of the proposed solution as I'm rarely the single source. (I left this out of my posting above, but back when I proposed "FileMaker", I never heard back from them).

That's how things have worked for me.

Thanks,

• 10. Re: FileMaker Pro pricing
                            alquimby

Yes, I think FileMaker Pro, Advanced, Server, etc., is very well-priced. Always has been since I started using it in the 1990's. I've never had 1 client complain about the cost––and I do not have clients with deep pockets.

• 11. Re: FileMaker Pro pricing
                              PointInSpace

While I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes on the bottom line total package price of FileMaker Pros + Server, I do think the move to per-connection licensing on the server end of things results in a perceived large increase in price.  And jacking the connection-based pricing 3x in May, 2018 is just inexcusable.  FLT isn't a solution to any of this, as it still makes the server look crazy expensive.

I have always hated server software that charges per-connection, as it's the same software either way and you've already got to pay the real cost of upgraded hardware to handle increased connections.

- John

• 12. Re: FileMaker Pro pricing
                                Benjamin Fehr

First, Products should be priced equally all over the world:

Still terrible miscalculation in Swiss Filemaker Store!

While I think, the prices are too high in Europe and so limits growth in this market, I never saw the need for giving a valuable App as FMGo for free. With FMGo11, none of my customers complaint about the $40.- (iPad) or $20.- (iPhone).

• 13. Re: FileMaker Pro pricing
                                  fmpdude

Imagine a solution with open source software: zero software costs for software and database server. Availability from anywhere. Free. Clustering up to thousands of users, free also. Run on inexpensive Linux servers.

Whether clients need all those features or not, in my experience, they want them -- even if the development takes longer. In the end, they have an APP, a JAR, or an EXE. 10 users, 200 users, or 2000 users the cost is the same - though some additional Linux/other servers might be needed for higher loads.

Plus, with open source solutions, you're not under any particular vendor's thumb or have a one-vendor-only solution (not just talking about FMI, of course).

• 14. Re: FileMaker Pro pricing
                                    MichaelManousos

I think that what all developers are missing is the "filemakef go client" for mac and windows priced about 50 euros with same functionality as filemaker go. None of my clients use design features and I dont even give them access to the menu bar. I dont even allow them to enter find mode everything is scripted.

1 2 3 Previous Next