2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2017 9:30 AM by miler24

WebDirect, guest access and MultiFile Solutions

fishtech

Hi,

I'm putting a shopping cart solution online, with guest access, open to all web users.

Server is FM15. The solution includes a Shopping Cart file where users can build the orders and and a related Inventory file.

FileMaker 15 WebDirect Guide states "Create identical accounts, passwords, and privilege sets in each file in a FileMaker WebDirect solution."

To my reading this means that in addition to the Shopping Cart file, I would need to put my Inventory file online with guest access and WebDirect extended proviledges enabled for guest. This does not seem like good practice to me.

The alternative is to keep the whole solution as a single file, importing Inventory to a table in the Shopping Cart file on a regular basis. That seems clunky but more secure.

How are others dealing with this?

Thanks,

ft.

• 1. Re: WebDirect, guest access and MultiFile Solutions
          bigtom

Why are you used my FMS as a public shopping cart?

Much better tools for that job out there that can use FM as an inventory system.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: WebDirect, guest access and MultiFile Solutions
            miler24

bigtom is right, you really should use something like WooCommerce and then push/pull orders from there into your FileMaker solution.

However, depending on your specific needs, it might be a good idea to use WebDirect.  We've used it for some of our clients and use it ourselves for our pricing configuration tool for a product we sell from our website.

Multi-file is perfectly fine, you just need one account that exists on both files and no, you don't need to allow WebDirect access for your internal file.  I recommend you allow your internal file to access your WebDirect file, but not the other way around using a sync...but that's up to you depending how secure you want it.

Eric

DocuWrx

1 of 1 people found this helpful