4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2017 8:49 AM by philmodjunk

'paste with style' as default is a bad application design

peteraddison

Is anyone else irritated with the lack of ability to turn off "paste with style" from the clipboard?

Almost ALL of the time, I want to paste or drag something into a field and have it match the field; i.e.: have NO style, so that my layouts can all control what it looks like for that layout. I am unable to train ALL my users to use a 'special' command for this. They never remember (even if they care) that they can't just Ctrl-V and carry on with their work.

Copy and Paste is an amazing time saver, but not when suddenly you're getting 14 point bold blue text where it should be 12 pt. black. Worst is when you can't even tell it's got a style applied when pasted.

I've tried to turn this off on the OS level, but not been successful.

• 1. Re: 'paste with style' as default is a bad application design
          philmodjunk

If Feedback is your aim, you might post this over in that section of the forum. If you'd like assistance in how to deal with this issue give current FileMaker features, read on....

You can set up the following auto-enter calculation on any field where a user might copy/paste info from outside of FileMaker:

TextFormatRemove ( self )

Be sure to clear the "do not replace..." check box.

Note that you can copy paste this from field def to field def and you can nest it with other functions as needed to "clean" the pasted text

TextFormatRemove ( Trim ( Self ) )

For example trims leading and trailing spaces.

There are custom functions that you can also use that accomplish all of the above plus you can filter out other nonvisible characters that might otherwise get pasted into a field and cause trouble. (We have one case where if a user pastes in some odd character (haven't identified the precise one just yet) it produces truncated emails generated from the text in this field. A "filter" that lists all acceptable characters now blocks that from happening for us.)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: 'paste with style' as default is a bad application design
            peteraddison

Thanks for the guidance, Phil. I have used this is past, but when something like this needs to be added to every field that a user interacts with, it's time to make a global setting to turn it off or switch it up. It's not really a filemaker issue, I think it's OS level issue and both platforms. I think FileMaker could create an application-level or at least file-level setting that would overcome it.

• 3. Re: 'paste with style' as default is a bad application design
              Jaymo

I agree Peter. Back when I first started working at Claris, someone told me the reason you can change text formatting in browse mode (and, likely the reason formatting is kept on paste by default) is due to the request of a big FileMaker customer. I won't say who so we don't boycott them lol. Anyhow, I think it would be nice to have a global toggle at the file level, not the application level. I see too many databases out there with browse mode text changes and it really mucks up layout control of text formatting. I end up doing the TextFormatRemove thing Phil mentions. I don't typically have to add it to every field since the ones with issues are usually notes, names, phone numbers, email addresses and anything that gets copied from a web browser or email. I'd say it's about 5 minutes of work per solution since it's just a copy and paste.

• 4. Re: 'paste with style' as default is a bad application design
                philmodjunk

Which is why I started my last reply with:

If Feedback is your aim, you might post this over in that section of the forum.

There is also a section for posting product ideas. A search there likely will bring up a post by someone else that has asked for this and you can then vote in favor of their posted idea.

If you post here, you'll get posts telling you how to get the most out of what you currently have.