7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2017 1:27 PM by philmodjunk

PSOS script performance issues

ericjlindholm

i have a rather lengthy PSOS script that is triggered after modifying a record.  It does not wait for completion.  While it is running, I am getting some random "finding records" dialog boxes as well as some intermittently highlighting fields on my layout.  it also does not scroll smoothly.  Any ideas what could cause that?  I'm am on a mac on the same local network as a dedicated optimized windows server.  all running the most current releases of FMP. 

kind of defeating the purposed of do not wait for completion. 

• 1. Re: PSOS script performance issues
          wimdecorte

I don't think that gives us enough information... especially the screen effects.  Can you describe a bit more?

If the PSoS script does things on records that are also in the user's found set then FM's internal notification scheme can make the client do work to keep what is shown on the screen updated and in-sync.  Very likely that is where the 'finding records' comes from.  That would largely be a solution design thing.

You mention "optimized server"; what does that mean?  Do you have the FMS stats log toggled on?  If not then do so, together with the top call stats log.  If the machine is running into any of the traditional bottlenecks then that will us which one are getting constrained.

• 2. Re: PSOS script performance issues
            Johan Hedman

If you really are running a PSOS on server you will not get any thing involved in what the PSOS are doing on your screen. That script that is running on the server will do all the action.

Do you have "Wait for completion" Enabled?

• 3. Re: PSOS script performance issues
              wimdecorte

Johan Hedman wrote:

If you really are running a PSOS on server you will not get any thing involved in what the PSOS are doing on your screen.

Yes you will, if you are looking at the same records...  FMS will send you all the notifications for your client to refresh things on screen.  Including new records, changed data, etc.

It can even run triggers, which is what this technique is based on: ClickWorks | Trigger a script on another client

• 4. Re: PSOS script performance issues
                Johan Hedman

Not Find Dialog

• 5. Re: PSOS script performance issues
                  wimdecorte

Yes, even that one.  Depending on the design of the solution if the client needs to refresh something because FMS notifies it, it may very well show a "find in progress" dialog if the refresh takes a while.  In that case FM is not actually performing a find like if a user was changing the found set, but usually it is resolving some dependency, say from something related.  And for FM that is the functional equivalent of doing a find and it will use the same dialog.

We're working through a situation like this for a client right now...

• 6. Re: PSOS script performance issues
                    Johan Hedman

Thanks! Good to know. I have never seen that problem

• 7. Re: PSOS script performance issues
                      philmodjunk

I have seen this in FMP 10 without any PSOS or server Schedule involved. Client A had a layout in the background that referenced data other clients were very actively editing--creating and updating lots of records in a POS type work flow. It kept updating and the little dialogs kept popping up and the cursor kept changing to an hour glass every few seconds.

Identifying and closing that window (since it was in the background anyway), resolved the issue.