5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2017 8:28 PM by Jason Wood

How to find an advanced  user close to me

mcintyre2

I can't seem to be able to find a user of Filemaker Pro in my area of Northwest Louisiana.  If there is someone how would I go about finding one.  The closest user group is in Dallas.  I live in Shreveport, LA .  I'd like to be able to work with some one locally if they have intermediate to advanced skill sets.  I'm having difficultly with developing relationships in my medical database.

• 1. Re: How to find an advanced  user close to me
          mikeo'neil

HI

I do not know how experienced you are with database design but would like to suggest that you download the Filemaker Training Series (Basic is free).

http://www.filemaker.com/learning/training/fts.html

It would also be in your best interest to also take the Advanced series. There are a lot of great examples in the two series. The Advanced version is free if you are a member of the paid Filemaker Developer Subscription (99.00 yr.). 

You may use this link to search for a consultant. http://developer.filemaker.com/search/

You also could include some more information as exactly what type of issues you are having.

Mike

• 2. Re: How to find an advanced  user close to me
            beverly

The search on the FMI site does not yield anyone from Louisiana (but that's just FBA members)! But you can input your zip code and then say the number of miles away to search. It may or may not get you any closer than Dallas. And it would be nice to get someone close. But given your industry (medical), it may be a useful search for that within the US. Then again with the webex, gotomeeting, and other screen-sharing options, many developers work remotely very well with occasional trips for one-on-one.

Perhaps even the Dallas user group can point you to someone that is closer. Posting here is great. Maybe someone can reply with PM to you. Get references regardless of who.

beverly

• 3. Re: How to find an advanced  user close to me
              fmpdude

I agree with Bev. If you want to do FMP stuff yourself, this forum is as good as forums get. It's the best forum I've ever seen with incredible helpful engagement by users of all levels.

The Lynda.com FMP series (both for FMP itself and FMP databases, separate courses) are also excellent.

But you'll meet a lot of great folks here who will work on their own free time to help others.  After reading my first FMP book, now almost seven years ago, it was folks like philmodjunk and beverly (and others, of course) who really helped me get up that last 20% (that last 20% took 80% of the time, naturally).

And, it took me about five years to be really comfortable with FMP where I basically "got it". Like everyone else here, I'm still learning new stuff about it all the time. That's cool too.

When I teach Java classes, I similarly tell students also not to expect to be proficient in Java for a good five years. It's not that they can't write a basic program, but to feel "comfortable" at a professional level takes longer. Years longer.

So, just be patient and know it takes everyone a while to learn all the stuff in a product like FMP that's been around for more than 30 years, and enjoy!

• 4. Re: How to find an advanced  user close to me
                mcintyre2

I really appreciate the comments.  I bought my first filemaker when it was a Claires product and flat database.  I created a medical database for billing.  I have dabbled after that with other versions of Filemaker over the last 25 year but never to get proficient.  I'm having the hardest time sorting out the entity relationship for electronic medical records.  Just wanted to see if there was someone close that I could bounce ideas off. Thank you though.  I have the FMP advanced book by Filemaker but having problems with the example files, some don't open.  I can't seem to change the permissions in the Mac info tab to have them function on my Mac.  RCC videos have been helpful, but as you have said it will take some time to get proficient. 

• 5. Re: How to find an advanced  user close to me
                  Jason Wood

mcintyre2 wrote:

I have the FMP advanced book by Filemaker but having problems with the example files, some don't open. I can't seem to change the permissions in the Mac info tab to have them function on my Mac.

By "FMP advanced book" you mean the FileMaker Training Series Advanced?

We can definitely help you get those sample files open.

Since you imply file permissions issues, I think you're trying to run the sample files off a read-only disk image. All you need to do is copy the files to your desktop (or any location outside the disk image). You wouldn't want to modify the originals anyway, in case you want to revert your changes and start over.

1 of 1 people found this helpful