10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2017 11:12 AM by taylorsharpe

how do i create the barcode Lines

Mikeystar

how do i create the barcode Lines

• 1. Re: how do i create the barcode Lines
          TSPigeon

Mikeystar:

Thank you for your post!

You might look into plugins or solutions for Barcode Creation: Made for FileMaker

I'm also going to move this thread from the FileMaker Developer Challenge 2016 Place to the Discussions Space where you should receive more views and potentially more feedback on this topic!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: how do i create the barcode Lines
            taylorsharpe

Several good plugins do it like Monkey Bread Software and CNS Barcode.  You can also do API calls to a web API to return a PNG graphic. 

• 3. Re: how do i create the barcode Lines
              taylorsharpe

An example online API for generating QR codes (which is a type of bar code, just not the line kind) is:

https://api.qrserver.com/v1/create-qr-code/?size=150x150&data=[insert your text here]

So if you do this:

https://api.qrserver.com/v1/create-qr-code/?size=150x150&data=Hello%20World

You'll get:

create-qr-code.png

• 4. Re: how do i create the barcode Lines
                philmodjunk

And there are fonts that can be used to print out a bar code.

With a bar code font, you just assign the text you want encoded in the bar code into a field formatted with that font and print. (But often, you have to calculate a check digit with a formula specific to the barcode type to include as part of the text in that field.)

• 5. Re: how do i create the barcode Lines
                  taylorsharpe

Phil mentioned you can use barcode fonts as an option, but please avoid doing so.  It relies on all other computers having the same font available, which is a rail pain across operating systems and if you want it to work on iOS devices.  This was done a lot back in the 1990's, but now that we have access to graphically generated ones, it is much easier.  About the only plus to fonts is that is uses less storage than storing graphics.  Then again, you can create bar codes on the fly in global fields and not store them.  I know Phil was just giving you all the options, but it is a less preferred method in my opinion and also does not support 2D fonts either.  But thanks for mentioning it Phil because it is an option. 

• 6. Re: how do i create the barcode Lines
                    philmodjunk

It relies on all other computers having the same font available,

This is not the case. You'll only need the fonts installed on the machine used to print the labels.

• 7. Re: how do i create the barcode Lines
                      taylorsharpe

philmodjunk wrote:

It relies on all other computers having the same font available,

This is not the case. You'll only need the fonts installed on the machine used to print the labels.

Yes, and then you end up down the road and can't find the font on a replacement computer or you want to print on multiple machines and the font is licensed and having to pay for new licenses and maybe it is a TrueType font (e.g., idautomation.com) and things are now going to OpenType and on and on.  Yes, you can make it work.  But it just is not elegant for all users equally and when users can't see the same thing in a layout, especially on iOS devices.  It is also why I encourage development using standard OS fonts or at least standard ones that come with MS Office. 

Current barcode technologies in FM are plugins like MBS and CNS.  The future really are RESTful APIs doing jobs like this.  Devcon this summer will be focusing a lot on such technology and we know FileMaker Server is going to be a RESTful API itself at that point (v16). 

If you consider fonts the solution, it is your prerogative and it does work.  I personally recommend clients avoid it especially after inconveniences I've had with idautomation fonts. 

PS:  FileMaker does a better job of asking to download and install needed fonts at least in FM 15.  Kudos to FM for that. 

• 8. Re: how do i create the barcode Lines
                        philmodjunk

Every option has it's strengths and weaknesses. Plug-ins can fail because FileMaker updated the app and the plug-in is no longer compatible. You have to pay for licenses for a plug-in also so the fact that you might have to pay for a license for a bar code doesn't seem all that different an issue.

And the other methods require that you be connected to the web. Even though we are very connected these days, it's not always the case that a given device will be connected at the time that you need that bar code. (And both web services and plug-in developers can close shop at any time and leave you scrambling for a new one.)

And I'd store that font in a container field of the solution that uses it to avoid losing it. (And yes, the fact that Filemaker now works better with multiple fonts IS a plus, but configuring FileMaker to add more fonts was a minor nuisance at worst.)

• 9. Re: how do i create the barcode Lines
                          globe11123

While you investigate other solutions.

Here's a quick module thats free & is easily integrated with you solution :-

http://www.modularfilemaker.org/module/easybarcode/

I've been using it to generate barcodes for usernames so they can be scanned on entry to our factory.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: how do i create the barcode Lines
                            taylorsharpe

Good point on the plugins being required to be installed.  I guess I forget this because most all of my solutions have MBS plugin on the server and I just run these types of things in PSoS.  But that is a big assumption. 

I still think the API method is best.  Then again, I like globe11123's link to the easy barcode which effectively does what the web APIs do but just use the javascript right in the FM web viewer.  Pretty slick idea!  And it will be faster than a Web API.