7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2017 8:25 AM by hsutton47

Security Priviledge Set and Sharing Issue

hsutton47

When user mike logs into his Windows 10 Pro account and launches FM 15, he gets a pop-up error notification:  "FileMaker cannot share a file because FileMaker network sharing is turned off."  However when I check FM 15 share setting it shows it is turned on.

1. User Mike has permissions set to be able to modify only 3 fields in the database.  But when he attempts to make a change to one of those fields, he gets an error notification:  "This action cannot be performed because this field is not modifiable."  Yet in his FM 15 privilege set those fields are set to Modifiable.

1. As a further troubleshoot test, under my Windows 10 admin account I set the folder to FileMaker 15 as shared by Everyone and with privileges set to Full Control.

After doing all this, the same errors occur.  Prior to upgrading to FM 15, I was using FM 10 Pro Adv.  All worked fine.  But after upgrading to FM 15, these issues occur and I have not been able to figure it out.

Screen shots attached of FM 15 share and user security settings as well as Windows 10 sharing and user permissions to the shared FileMaker 15 folder.

• 1. Re: Security Priviledge Set and Sharing Issue
          schamblee

Your screenshots only show Windows Networking turn on and Windows permission .

Filemaker database should be shared only with FMS or FMP.

It is highly recommend that you do not place a Filemaker database in a shared folder.  If another user tries to open the database from the shared folder it can become corrupt.  The hosting machine should open the database then the client machine should open the database with open remote. 

It appears you do not have FMP sharing turned on.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Security Priviledge Set and Sharing Issue
            philmodjunk

One should never, ever place a FileMaker file in a shared directory from multiple users to open. For FileMaker, this risks damaging the file. To share a File between users, host it using FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Server. Note that the FileMaker sharings are for what is set for hosting the file via FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Server. They have nothing to do with the Folder sharing and access permissions.

• 3. Re: Security Priviledge Set and Sharing Issue
              schamblee

To turn on FMP sharing.

1. Open the database in FMP.

2. Select file, select sharing, share with a FM client

3. Select turn on network sharing.

4. Select the user that have permission to open the database.  Note this is FMP users not Windows users.

5. Click Ok

• 4. Re: Security Priviledge Set and Sharing Issue
                hsutton47

When creating my post I missed one screen shot.  I edited the post and attached the screen shot showing I have FMP Sharing turned On. 

I do not know if you and philmodjunk saw that screen shot.

FYI, this is in my home and there is only one PC.  There are not multiple networked client workstations.  I just have him log into his Windows 10 account on the same machine and when he launches FM15 Pro Adv we get this sharing error.

And of course I do not have a FM Server.  So it's one machine, two user, me (admin) and him with his limited privilege set.

I will turn off Windows sharing.  I turned it on because I could not figure out why the user is getting this sharing error message if it's turned on.

• 5. Re: Security Priviledge Set and Sharing Issue
                  philmodjunk

I just have him log into his Windows 10 account on the same machine and when he launches FM15 Pro Adv we get this sharing error.

And immediately after the error, open sharing, (yes, I saw the screen shot), and see what's there. I suspect that at that moment, sharing is not on. Enable it and see if it "sticks".

Frankly, the most likely explanation is that you have two copies of this file and the copy he is opening is not the one that you used for these screen shots. If the file is located on the desktop, his desktop is not yours and thus you might have two copies of the file here.

• 6. Re: Security Priviledge Set and Sharing Issue
                    hsutton47

I figured it out guys.  I logged into mike's windows account and launched FM 15, then logged into FM 15 with my admin account and checked Sharing and it was turned off.  I thought this was a global setting.  I've been looking at it when signed into my windows account and FM 15's File | Sharing showed turned on.  But under mike's windows account FM 15 File | Sharing was turned off.  I turned it on then logged mike back into FM 15 and the sharing error does not appear.  He can now modify the fields.

Thanks for your time and your help.

• 7. Re: Security Priviledge Set and Sharing Issue
                      hsutton47

philmodjunk, no it is definitely the same file.  I verified the drive, path and filename.  Good suggestion to double check so thanks!