AnsweredAssumed Answered

Container field used in Hosted FMS; but files will reside on a local server

Question asked by MGHnHHH on Mar 27, 2017
Latest reply on Mar 27, 2017 by philmodjunk

I have a client that has a local server holding close to 2TB of pictures and PDF's.  I am rewriting their solution since it was originally done in FM9.  They create work Order Numbers and drag and drop multiple pictures and PDF into a global container field that then pushes those files into a container field (reference only).  I am thinking of moving the FMS solution to a hosted FM service.  My question is can I establish the local server to still have the external Open Storage of the actual and keep it only on that server.  Meaning the Hosted version would only have document names etc for retrieval and viewing.

I don't want them to have to pay for the large data usage, since we are only dragging the pict from the local server into the container; grab the file name and create a related link; and the actual picture will be still stored on the local server.

In a perfect world I would like the FMS to be placed and working on their local server, but I am not certain their IT network guys will be able to configure it well.  So I have thought of using a hosted FM Service such as Point In Space. 

Outcomes